Thursday, April 20, 2006

Day dreaming



Wow, what a nice morning. The morning lows are back down to the high 50s, the smog and dust has cleared out of the sky and there isn’t a cloud to be seen anywhere.

This morning I got up before sun rise and ran a 4 mile out and back course trying to hold a 8:45/m pace. I had intended to vary the return trip to provide a little hill work on the 4th mile. Unfortunately, I was day dreaming on the 4th mile and not really paying attention to where I was and missed the turn. This left me with a relatively flat course with a single steep hill over the last 0.11 mile. Mile splits this morning were: 8:45, 8:41, 8:32, 8:30..

I still haven’t decided on a next race and hence I don’t have any focus to my training. Since the temperature is heating up quickly, there aren’t any 10ks scheduled here in central Arizona desert until September. The Arizona Road Racers club has a series of 5 5ks scheduled through out the summer, starting in May and running through August. They schedule the start of these races very early in the morning before the sun gets too high over the horizon, although it is still insanely hot for the races in July and August. The YMCA in Prescott is sponsoring the Whiskey Row ½ marathon next, but I don’t think I’ll be ready for another ½ marathon at this time. I just haven’t put in the miles as of late. This ½ marathon (and full marathon) starts out in the town of Prescott on Whiskey Row and heads south into the mountains. It is very a challenging race for a flat-lander like me. There also might be several 10k races in Flagstaff this summer. Running in Flagstaff is always fun. The city is at 7000 feet so you need really big lungs to do well. If anyone has any suggestions for this summer, I’m all ears.

Keep running

No comments: