Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The first day above 90

Well, it was bound to happen. After a very mild "spring" in central Arizona, the temperature finally hit 90 degrees this afternoon. Fortunately, it was only in the mid-60s this morning when I took an easy run on my standard short course. I set my watch to a 8:45 m/m pace and managed to stay under this mark for the entire 3.1 miles. Since I didn't get out until 6:30 AM, the traffic was a bit heavier than I'd like, but overall, it was a good run.

I still need to figure out my next goal. I ran in a 1/2 marathon this past February (1:49:52) and but I've been drifting without direction since. My weekly mileage has dropped from the high 20s to the 15 to 20 miles per week. Actually, that is a bit of a stretch. I ran less than 10 miles last week.

To make up for this deficit, I decided to take a 10 mile run on Sunday afternoon. Around 3.5 miles into the run, my body told me it was time to shut down and walk ... WALK. I turned off my watch, walked for a 1/2 mile, turned the watch on and sort of ran/walked the rest of the way back to my car. The average pace for the 6.3 miles that the watch was on was a blistering 9:28.

As I said, I need to get focused on something. My weight is drifting up (hit 188 on Monday) and my mileage is dropping. I'd like to blame it on the heat. Every year as the tempurature rises, my motivation drops, weight goes up and I loose what ever I've gained over the past 8 months. This year could be different. I can't let myself fall into the same pattern.

No comments: