Friday, April 21, 2006

The heart is still beating

Woke up to another nice day this morning (it's tough living on a desert during the spring time :)). Decided to take it easy and repeat the 4 mile run I did yesterday. Only today, I actually remembered to make the turn to do a bit of hill work on the 4th mile. I also decided it was time to check my heart rate. I managed to keep a nice steady pace during the entire run, setting slits at 8:35, 8:31, 8:35, and 8:34. My heart rate stayed steady at 144, 152, 151, 157. The uptick on the 4th mile was due to the 100 meter "sprint" up the last hill.

My legs felt good throughout the run and I resisted the urge to check out the heart-rate monitor every 3 seconds. The cool morning air felt really nice and since I decided to stay off the main roads to avoid traffic, I didn't have any nasty run-ins with either pick-up trucks, SUVs, or autos.

I was really happy with the steady pace. 4 months ago, I was pushing it to keep up with a 9:00/m pace. Running a steady 8:35 pace for 4 miles is a great improvement for me. Still not as good as my peak performance in 2003, but all in all not too bad for a 51 year old slug.

Total mileage for the week is sitting at 14.7. I plan to run another 9 mile loop on Saturady morning to bring the total for the week up to 23+. This is about average for the past 6 months, so it shouldn't be too stressful. We'll see how the following Sunday goes.

Keep Running

No comments: