Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Day 3 - Seattle

More correctly, Day 3 – Redmond Washington – home of Microsoft

I managed to get my butt out of my hotel bed this morning at 5:30AM and take my first run in Seattle since starting the new program. I selected a nice route along the bike path that parallels Route 520 through Redmond Washington. It was light outside with the sun just coming over the horizon, but the temperature was sitting at a brisk 41 (remember, 70 feels cool to a Phoenician) The first ¼ mile is a steady uphill and I felt as if every muscle was dragging on the pavement. I was sure I wasn’t anywhere near my desired 9:30 pace however, I resisted the urge to look at Mr. Garmin every few seconds. After the intial climb, the path north is net down hill, not real steep, but I remember feeling the hill slightly on my way back the last time I ran this route. I reached 50th street in 16 minutes and decided to turn around and head back up the hill, not wanting to extend the run too much further than my planned 30 minutes this morning. I was a bit shocked when I stopped the watch upon returning to the hotel and saw that I had run the 3.5 mile course at an average 9:03 pace. I thought I was going much slower.

Tomorrow is a real early morning for me and my running calendar is telling me to take the day off; however, if the weather is as nice as it was this morning, I’ll probably go out for a quick 30 minute run.

Keep running

No comments: