Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Seattle - Day deux

Two runs are better than one. Per my running plan for the week, I took an easy 30 minute run this morning. Once again, I didn’t pay much attention to Mr. Garmin and ended up running 3.45 miles at an average pace of 8:45 … a bit fast. Fortunately, I suffered no obvious side effects.

This evening after an early dinner, I contemplated how I was going to run 40 minutes on Thursday, eat breakfast, pack, check out of my hotel and get my Redmond office by 7:00 AM unless I got up before 5:00. Since Washington is now on day-light savings time (something we know nothing of in Arizona), the sky is still bright at 8:30 PM. Since I still had daylight to burn tonight and no time in the morning, I went out and ran my 40 minute run this evening. Again, I headed north along Route 520 past 51st street. I soon discovered that decent into down-town Redmond along 520 is rather steep north of 51st street. I ran a little over ½ mile down the hill, hit the 20 minute mark on my watch and trudged my way back up the hill, huffing and puffing. After passing 51st on the way back, the trail flattens out. I managed to catch my breath and continued the run back to the hotel. Run total: 4.72 miles; Pace: 8:44 – again too fast.

I certainly admire you folks that do real “hill work”. I got a little taste of it tonight and know I need to do a lot more work on my conditioning before starting any sort of training on hills. 2500 feet of hill was all I could handle.

One last thing. I ran across an interesting blog yesterday written by a novice runner in England. Andy, just bought his first pair of running shoes and managed to pull a calf muscle by starting out way too aggressive. If anyone has a chance to drop in on his blog (Run like the wind, Bullseye) and leave him a note of encouragement or a bit of advice, I’m sure he’d appreciate it. We can’t get too many dedicated runners on this planet and I’d hate to lose this one.

Keep running

3 comments:

Ann Ewbank said...

Sounds like you're having fun in Seattle. I love to run in different places! Are you doing the Amigos race on Sunday back in PHX?

Phil said...

Ann,

I'm not planning to run in the Amigos on Sunday. In fact, I don't really have anything planned until the Jerome Hill Climb this September. You really need to try this race. It's 5.25 miles up hill. The first mile is through the town of Jerome and the rest heads up a fire road on Mingus mountain. There are lots of refreshments at the top and after you've had a chance to catch your breath, eat a few baggles and drink a gallon of water, you get to run down the hill back to the start line at the old Jerome school house. The views coming down are amazing and everyone is having a great time. Although you won't get a PR on this course, you will have a lot of fun

In addition, I'll probably run in several of the Arizona Road Racers 5k Summer Series races; however, I will miss the first one scheduled for 5/27. The first 5k is handicapped by age and gender, so the really fast people start last. It is the only race during the year I get to see the sub 6 min milers run by me (as well as the sub 7 min milers). I'm sorry I'm going to miss it this year. I had a lot of fun with it last year.

Keep ruunning

Ann Ewbank said...

Hi Phil,

I'll let you know how AMIGOS goes. I do plan to do summer series #1 and hopefully all the rest as well. I did 4 of the 5 last year. I was in Outer Banks, North Carolina when #4 was scheduled. I liked SS #1 but I felt like I was in the way when the fast people started. Now that I've done it once I'll feel more comfortable.

I have a lot of problems when I run in dust. The SS race held in Reach 11 last year gave me a lot of alllergy problems. I sneezed like 15 times in a row afterward!

Hope you have a good running weekend! I went swimming this morning and am running at sunset tonight.