Saturday, May 13, 2006

Who turned up the heat?

I’m back in Phoenix. After spending a week in Seattle running in sub-50 degree temperatures, I’m back to running in the sun. Actually it wasn’t too bad this morning. Although the temperature should reach 103 this afternoon, it was only 78 or so when I started my “long” run 6:30 and 82 when I finished. Not too bad for May (I can hardly wait for June)

Once again I returned to my new favorite running location; the Reach 11 recreational area in north Phoenix. This morning I followed the southern trail from Tatum to Scottsdale road and started looping back on northern trail. Once my time reached 42:30, I turned around and headed back along the same route. For the most part, I kept my pace under control for 9 miles with splits of 9:29, 9:11, 9:23, 9:25, 9:21, 9:25, 9:24, 9:24 and 9:08. I felt some numbness in my right foot around mile 5, but the feeling went away after a mile or so and I finished without incident. There weren't any horses on the trail this morning and I only saw two mountain bikers, two runners and one walker in the 85 minutes I was out there. I more or less had the park to myself.

My training schedule for next week calls for 25 miles of easy running. This might be tough to do with Mother's Day on Sunday, early moring commitments in Tempe and Tucson on Monday and Wednesday and a Grand Canyon hike planned for Friday, but I'll do my best. This week felt really good and I definitely need to keep up this conditioning regime.

Total mileage for the week: 31.15; average pace: 9:08

Keep running

No comments: