Sunday, June 04, 2006

Have a heart

Just for grins, I thought it would be a good idea to check my heart rate. I've been making this wild assumption that a 9:00 - 9:30 pace is ideal for my easy runs, but I really hadn't a clue. I don't like wearing my heart-rate monitor every day. I tend to stare at the damn thing constantly and fret at my inability to keep my heart rate down in a "normal" range. But this had to be done.

I went back out to Reach 11 again and ran a 7.5 mile loop around the eastern side of the park. My goal was to keep my heart rate under 145 for the entire run and not worry about pace. I got to the park just after 6 AM. The sun was already above the McDowell mountains to the east and the desert temperatures were heating up quickly. As was the case on Saturday, I had the place to myself.

My heart rate did very well for the first two miles. I ran both just under 9:00 and my HR stayed right at 136. Not bad for an old guy. However, as the miles wore on and the temperature increased, so did my heart rate. By mile 4 it was up to 143 so I slowed my pace down from 9:00 to 9:30. I got a bit of recovery using this strategy, but grew tired of running so slow.

I picked the pace up to 9:15 for mile 5 and my HR increased to 150. After a bit of mental gymnastics, I decided I'd be OK if I didn't let my heart rate go beyond 153. I increased my pace a little more to 9:10 and managed to keep my HR at or below 153 for the rest of the run.

Total Run: 7.5 Miles - 9:10/m pace avg HR - 145

145 is 86% of my maximum HR .. which is right about where I need to be for my easy long runs. So I'll stop worrying about going too fast and just enjoyed the runs.

One last thing. A need to give a big shout out to Beth, Amy, and Mike. Although they don't now know each other, they are all in San Diego today running the PF Chang's Rock 'n Roll Marathon. I wish them the best of luck this moring.

Keep Running

No comments: