Saturday, June 24, 2006

Long is getting longer

My "long" runs are slowly getting longer. This morning, I pushed my way up to 13 miles including a 1 mile uphill jaunt on mile 10. Running this hill probably wasn't the smartest idea of the morning. I ran the first 7 miles in a big loop to the south of my house. I took my dog on this portion of the run and dropped him off at the house at the end of the loop. He was panting like crazy and there was no sense in continuing to torture him in the heat. Although he was a bit perplexed when I opened the door, let him in and then walked out again.

The second phase of the run was a 6 mile loop to the north of the house which included the 1 mile climb on mile 10. Although I wasn't paying any attention to my pace, I could feel myself dragging up the hill. Once I crested the hill, it felt as if a large weight had been lifted from my back.

Mile 11 was a recovery mile. Mostly a slow down hill. It was during this mile that I started wondering just what the heck I was doing out on the road at this hour on a Saturday morning. Sleeping certainly sounded like the superior option. Things started looking up again on mile 12. I was still running down hill for most of mile 12 and was getting a bit of spring back to my step. 13 miles was looking like a real possibility.

I had just crossed the last major street and turned west towards home as the Garmin beep indicating the start of mile 13. I had a clear view of the end of this run at the top of a small hill a mile down the road (the roads in Phoenix are very straight). Something gave me a kick in the pants and my pace increased considerably ... still over 9:00/mi, but much faster than the "I JUST WANT TO DIE" pace two miles back. Half way through the last mile a car pulling out of a side street turning right actual LOOKED and STOPPED and let me run by. I even got a wave. This nice fellow seemed to know that I'd been on the road for 2 hours and needed a break from lousy drivers.

This week has been a PR week for distance; exceeding 45 miles for the first time ever.

Training for the Week

Sun - 7.0 miles, easy, 9:06/mi pace
Mon - 6.2 miles, easy, 9:12/mi pace
Tue - 8.3 miles, easy, 9:12/mi pace
Wed - 5.3 miles, 4x800, 7:19/mi pace
Thr - Rest Day
Fri - 6.2 miles, easy, 9:09/mi pace
Sat - 13.1 miles, long, 9:40/mi pace

Total Distance for the week: 46.2 Miles, 9:11/mi avg pace

___________________________________

Auto update. I nice fellow with a massive tow truck showed up at my house 30 minutes after I called AAA. My cars left front wheel had bounced over a large rock and the rocker arm under the car was hung up on the rock with the wheel dangling in front. Simply pulling the car backwards would have damaged the undercarriage and torn up the bumper something fierce. After studying the situation for a few minutes we decided to build up a little bridge for the left front wheel to roll on out of 2x6s. The mechanic lifted the front of the car with a large jack, I slid the bridge under the wheel (after signing a damage waiver absolving the towing company of any responsibility for damage to the car). He let the car back down on the bridge (which held) and slowly pulled the car off the rock with a winch. The entire operation took nearly an hour.

The only damage the car suffered was few nasty scratches to the left from bumper where the car hit the rock initially. I was VERY lucky.

Have a great week running!

3 comments:

carmen said...

I'm glad everything worked out with your car. Repairs would have been the absolute pits!

And congrats on you passing the 45 miles/week mark. It takes me about three weeks to run the same distance. haha

I was going to ask you if you had ever done a long run at South Mountain. I wanted to check it out for the Sunday run but decided to run Kiwanis instead. I've only hiked the mountain from the east end but that was years ago.

StumbleGuy said...

So glad the car wasn't badly damaged. Even simple things can be so expensive. My car spends most time in the street as our drive only has room for one and this time last year some kids took a key down the side of several cars in the street, mine included. The pits!

And look at those miles! A half marathon as a training run. That one run is a week and a half for me and your total weekly is my 5 weeks!

Keep feeding us the numbers - it keeps me going to know it can really be done!

Andy

Mike said...

I'm also glad the car is (pretty much) fine. Great job increasing the miles, it's always a little hard to go back out for a second loop after turning the doorknob at home!