Monday, June 19, 2006

Monday morning

I managed to run 19 miles this weekend. I realize that for many of you out there in the blogsphere, 19 miles is a simple jog in the park; but this runner, 19 miles is a whole lot of distance. It wasn't but 3 months ago that 19 miles would be a good week's work. Since I've never run anywhere near this far and lived to talk about it, I went to bed last night with some trepidation as to what this morning would bring.

Well, exactly nothing happened. I woke up at 4:30 feeling refreshed and got out on the street by 5:00 AM. The temperature was nearing 82 and the traffic was already starting to get heavy on the main thoroughfares as I hit the road. I ran my usual 6 mile course (actually, it is closer to 6.2 miles) without incident. After my run-ins with Mr Coyote this weekend, the streets of Phoenix seemed down right boring. If not for the fact that the avg temperature was already a hellish 83 during the run, I could have been anywhere. I was pleased that I didn't have any muscle soreness. I just chugged around the course holding my HR near 133, not really worrying about pace.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did have one thought this morning: Just where are all these people going at 5:00 AM in the morning, I'll never know. What I find even more remarkable than the fact that anyone is out driving around at 5:00 AM is that half of them are talking on their cell phones. Who takes a call at 5:00 AM? I find this behavior particularly disturbing as I'm running west. For if I'm running west, the folks in the cars are heading east into the rising sun. So far, no one has swerved close enough to get me up onto the concrete sidewalk any sooner than I need to, but I'm sure that day will come. Fortunately, in 2 days, the summer solstice will arrive and the sun will start rising later and later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone out there got any bright ideas what I'm suppose to do with my diet. When I was running 15-20 miles a week, I ate normally and slowly lost weight. Now that I'm running 40-45 miles a week and burning through at least 1000 calories a day exercising, my brain tells me to eat copious quantities of food. I'm eating good stuff (aside from the Ben & Jerry's my kids treated me to last night), just eating a heck of a lot of it. Consequently, my weight has reached a plateau. I know I can't be the first person on the planet to have this problem. I welcome any suggestions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Training for the week

Sun - 7.0 miles, easy, 9:06/mi pace
Mon - 6.2 miles, easy, 9:12/mi pace

2 comments:

Runner Chic said...

Phil,

I have been part of a boot camp fitness training group for 2 years now. We suggest the following outline to determine calorie intake that will provide a healthy balance based on level of training.

Take your desired weight x 10 .

This will give you a starting point. Then add anywhere from 500 to 1000 calories based on your level of daily exercise.

Example: me

120 x 10 would give me 1200 calories.

Then I would add 600 based on my level and break that down to three meals and two snacks per day. The key is to not allow to much time between meals. Keeping the furnace burning.

Hope this helps. Sounds like you already have good eating habits in place!

Robin

Phil said...

Thanks Robin ... I'll give this a go. Your last statement is probably the most impactful comment. I eat well during breakfast (after my run), lunch is ok and under control, but I go into crazing mode during dinner. There isn't a vegetable I won't eat, I inhale all the fruit in the house, and then find myself snacking on low-fat yogurt afterwards. My body is just screaming at me to eat. If focused on the eating between meals, perhaps I stop raiding the fridge.

Phil