Thursday, June 15, 2006

Rest Day

Today seemed like a perfect day for a rest day. I was a bit tired after my trip to Redmond Washington this week and had just run my first "speed" workout since getting serious about training. In addition, my right knee is bothering me a bit a little below the knee cap towards the inside of my leg. It imagine it's at a point a tendon connects a bunch of lower leg muscles to the knee. This area starting getting sore this past Saturday after my first 5k in eons. I probably over-stressed something.

Anyway, I took maximum advantage of the rest day. When my alarm went off at 4:45, I reset it to 5:45 ... who knew there were only about 10 seconds between 4:45 and 5:45, at least that what it felt like.

I kept ice on the knee off and on all day and darn near locked up my knee altogether. My staff is spread out all across 3 time zones in North America from Toronto, Ontario in the east to Redmond, Washington in the west; Phoenix, Arizona in the Southwest; and Coon Rapids, Minnesota and South Bend, Indiana in the Midwest. Needless to say, when we get together for a weekly staff meeting, we do so via telephone and MS Net Meeting. This morning was no different, except I propped up my right leg and wrapped an ice pack around the knee. An hour later I'd completely forgotten about the ice pack (we have a lively group and it isn't difficult to loose track of time). After we hung up, I could hardly stand up. I had to go outside and walk around in the 102 heat in order to get my knee moving again.

Tomorrow is an easy 6 miles. I expect the knee will be limber by then. I've moved my alarm up to 4:30 AM to give me more time on the road before the sun comes up. Should be interesting.

Keep Running

--------------------------------------------------------

One last note ... I took the picture to the left this evening from my house. Don't know what I found fascinating about this picture. The three major TV "news" stations had their helicopters circling over head trying to get a shot. It all seemed to be rather morbid. Then again, I was watching this company's building going up in flames through my binoculars ... so I guess that I am no different.

---------------------------------------------------------

Training for the week:

Sun – 7.4 Miles, easy, 9:18/mi pace
Mon – 6.1 Miles, easy, 9:22/mi pace
Tue - 6.1 Miles, easy, 9:18/mi pace
Wed - 5.0 Miles, Speed Interval, 9:02/mi pace
Thr - Rest day

No comments: