Tuesday, July 25, 2006

At least it isn't 100

As unbelievable as it may sound, the official temperature at 5:00 AM this morning was 97F (36C). I couldn’t believe that I was reading the temperature readout on my own blog correctly. Suspecting an error, I called up the US National Weather Service Web Site and confirmed the data. 97! I realize that I promised to stop complaining about the heat, but this was hot for even the most hardened Phoenician.

After my abrupt end to my planned 10-15 mile recovery run on Sunday, I figured that I needed a full rest day to get my mojo back. No running, no x-training, no cheating; just walking, sleeping and eating well. This plan seems to have worked. Despite the record high temperatures, I felt strong through most of my 8 mile run this morning. Mile 1 wasn’t as sluggish as is normal for a morning run; miles 2 and 3 flew by as did mile 4 and 5, although I did have to yell at one moron turning right without looking right. Evidently, my primal yell is improving because he actually heard me through the closed windows of his pickup truck and stopped before hitting me. I also had a couple of twinges in my left glut. I don’t know what this is all about. It seems to come and go.

I dropped the dog off at the end of mile 5 and took off on mile 6. The sun was over the horizon by now, but the eastern sky was rather cloudy keeping the temperature from increasing much beyond 97F. The last few times I’ve stopped to drop off the dog at my house, I’ve had trouble getting back into the groove; but not this morning. Although my “dry weave” shirt was completely soaked, all body parts continued to cooperate. The early twinges in my left glut had gone away and my arthritic toes weren’t complaining too much. I passed the point where I had bonked on Sunday morning and kept right on running.

I changed my course a little this morning to put a more aggressive hill on mile 8. No sense in putting a good morning to waste! With this course, I end up with a small 40’ climb followed by a 20’ descent over a quarter mile followed by a short climb and other descent to the 8 mile point. I picked up the pace to 8:40/mi and powered up the hill finishing out the morning strong. It should be a great week.

I hope your day is going as well.

Training for the week:

Mon - Rest Day
Tue - 8.0 Miles, easy, 9:09/mi pace

5 comments:

Dusty said...

Glad you felt good and was able to keep your momentum. 97 is crazy! Sounds like you had a nice run!

D said...

That is HORRIBLE. I'll take 10 degrees F any day over 80s and 90s.

Shane (mississip) said...

If Arizona heat is anything like Mississippi heat I don't see how you did it. Thankfully its only 87 in the afternoon here!

BTW, you cheated me 2 miles on your comment on my blog. It was 12 miles, not 10! HA! :-) Gotta take credit for all of em' I can manage!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

I get twinges in my glutes when I run. I started using a foam roller to work out the kinks, and I've felt so much better!!!

I'm wondering if we are experiencing record-high lows here in AZ this year...

Thomas said...

Not a bad run in those conditions. I happened to look at a temperature map of the US yesterday, and guess what? Phoenix was right in the center of the hottest spot. I did think of you and the other Arizonians when I saw that.