Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Carlsbad California

I hope all of you in the US are off enjoying the 4th of July holiday today. I'm still in Carlsbad this morning. Other than a thick marine layer, this morning was a more-or-less the same as yesterday.

Now that I'm racing faster, I think I'm ready to increase my easy pace a little bit. This morning I set out to hold a 9:03 pace for 7 miles. The rolling hills along the coast south of Carlsbad made it a bit of a challange to hold a pace, but I did fairly well. Overall, I covered the 7 miles at an avg pace of 8:57. Since it is the 4th of July, there was very little traffic. Not a single car pull out in front of me with out looking. What a morning :)

I did have several significant twinges of pain in my left big toe. Since I'm reluctant to look at surgical options, I imagine I should find a podiatrist who understands runners for an orthodic solution. Anyone have a suggestions?
Keep running

Training for the week

Mon - 7.5, easy, 9:22/mi pace
Tue - 7.0, easy, 8:57/mi pace

 

3 comments:

Ann Ewbank said...

Phil,
email me at adutton1@cox.net and I can tell you about my experiences with 3 pods here in the valley and the name of a 4th that has treated a couple of friends.
(I'm not sure they want their names splashed all over the blogosphere)

Dusty said...

Happy 4th! Good luck with the toe!

My podiatrist in AZ wasn't very helpful, hope you find a good one.

StumbleGuy said...

Phil,

Happy 4th July! It just hit me that the reason why all my favourite daily podcasts are not in iTunes is because you're all partying!

I have no idea about toe problems, but if it were me I might experiment with soaking the toe in ibuprofen gel before running, to take the edge off. You might have tried that already!

Andy