Sunday, July 23, 2006

Sabino Canyon

After yesterday's successful 5k, I was out the door this morning at 4 AM for a 10 to 15 mile recovery run. I needed to get started early this morning because my wife and I were due in Tucson, 130 miles south of here, by 10 AM on Sunday morning.

The 1st mile was my usual sluggish warmup I'm all to accustom to; however, the sluggishness didn't let up on the 2nd mile. Nor the 3rd. At the end of the 4th mile, as I was heading back towards my house, I gave serious thought to stopping altogether. The temperature was over 90, the humidity was up and I was drenched with sweat. I trudged on.

At 5 miles I stopped briefly to get a drink from the thermos I'd stashed by the side of the road. 15 miles was looking doubtful and 10 miles was iffy, but I pushed on. I continued plodding along through mile 6; however, my right foot started falling asleep. I could only imagine what my running style must have looked like at this point.

Some where on the 7th mile I gave up. I was doing myself more damage than this run was worth. Ironically, as I walked home, the sky started to cload up and the temperature dropped as another storm approached from the Northwest.



Tomorrow is a rest day (and I'll use it).

Training for the week:

Mon: X-train (40 minutes on a recumbent stationary bike)
Tue: 8 miles, easy, 9:22/mi pace
Wed: 8 miles, easy, 9:04 /mi pace
Thr: 5 miles, easy, 9:04/mi pace
Fri: Rest Day
Sat: 9.1 miles, race – 5k , 6:58/mi pace; 3 mi WU and 3mi CD
Sun: 6.5 miles, easy, 9:45/mi pace

Total Miles for the week: 36.7

Since I was in Tucson today, I used the opportunity to take a short hike through part of Sabino Canyon with my wife, oldest daughter and her boyfriend. We didn't get too far due to 111F degree heat, but I did take a few pictures:










5 comments:

Dusty said...

I'm so envious of the trails!! I miss the mountains and all the trails around them!

Sorry about your run hopefully you'll be back to yourself on Tuesday. Thanks for the pictures!

Mike said...

You make it out to Sabino Canyon the one weekend I'm in Reno. It figures. Look me up next time, I'm a 5 minute run away and I offer free parking.

carmen said...

nice pictures!! and it's always nice to see what family members look like. :)

D said...

Congrats on your SPEEDY 5k Saturday! Nice photos.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

hey, those are some *great* pics, I'll have to link back to them in the future to show everyone where I run :)