Thursday, July 06, 2006

Straight Line Intervals

More 800s this afternoon .. yes, this afternoon. I'm still in Carlsbad and slept in this morning (one too many martini's last night). So I didn't get out for my weekly intervals until noon! While it was well over 100 by noon today in Phoenix, it was only 75 along the beach? Since I don't have a clue where a track is around here, I mapped out an 800m section of the old Coast Highway (now Carlsbad BLVD) and with cars whizzing by at 60 mph, I dutifully ran my 800s.

Remarkably, I ran the fastest 800s ever (well at least since my last year of high school track in 1972). After a 1.5 mile warm up run, I ran 4x800 with 400m recoveries holding a decent pace for me:

1) 3:21 min
2) 3:17 min
3) 3:19 min
4) 3:20 min

I needed to leave for San Diego at 1:30 PM, so I cut the intervals off at 4. I don't know if I could have run another sub 3:20. I was really pushing the last rep hard to hold the pace. I'm very anxious to get back to Phoenix and see if I can repeat this on a track in 90 degree heat.

I've got one more 7 mile run scheduled tomorrow over the hilly section of the Carlsbad Marathon. The course raises and falls 300 feet over 3 miles, but most of the steepness is at the end of the climb. This should be interesting.

Keep running

Training for the Week:

Mon - 7.5, easy, 9:22/mi pace
Tue - 7.0, easy, 8:57/mi pace
Wed - 7.1, easy, 8:49/mi pace
Thr - 5.7, 4x800 with 400 recovery; 6:38 avg pace

1 comment:

Dusty said...

Good job on the intervals! Maybe it was not running around a track where you unconsciously know when to slack and rest? I know that I can be guilty of that. 75 at Noon.. not bad.