Sunday, July 30, 2006

That gurgling sound isn't good, is it?

Every have one of those days that just don’t work out like you planned. We’ll I had one this morning. I rolled out of bed at 4:30 this morning to prepare for my Sunday morning long run. It was a perfect morning for a run. The skies opened once again last night and dump copious quantities of water on our fair city; cleansing the dust clogged air and dropping the temperatures into the high 70s … yes you heard right. The morning temperatures in Phoenix weren’t in the 90s, they weren’t even in the 80s. The air temperature this morning at 5:00 AM was 78, with 80% humidity. A perfect morning.

Unfortunately after a couple of easy miles, my lower intestines started complaining about life in general and made it very clear that I, to put it delicately, needed to return home immediately. I looped back around to the house and made it inside just in time. Within 5 minutes, I was prepared to get back on the street and continue my long run.

I ran down the block a bit and took a long drink from my water thermos, strategically stashed along my usual route and headed back out on the run. Since I’d cut my first lap short, I added extra ½ mile loops into the usual route to make up for the distance I cut off early due to my intestinal difficulties. However, after 3 more miles, with my stomach gurgling, I came to the startling conclusion that I just wasn’t feeling all that well this morning and walked home.

Although I didn’t get close to the 15 miles I’d planned, I did manage to get a little over 6 miles. In addition, I bought an extra hour to give me some time to catch up on your blogs.

Oh yes … I did a bit of an experiment yesterday and tried to run 7 miles on a treadmill. I slept in for the first time in ages and it was just too hot and humid to run out doors.

I discovered:
1) The LA Fitness I use sets the maximum time on the tread mills to 30 minutes. This is a major hassle. Does anyone know how to override this limit?
2) Running for an hour on a treadmill seems like a long time. You need to stay focused, can’t day dream as much … on the other hand, you don’t have to worry about cars.
3) The run was a lot gentler on my feet. I had no trouble with arthritic toes during or after.
4) Obviously, it’s easy to hold pace on a treadmill; however, I enjoyed the playing with the elevation feature to create hills where I wanted them

I’m still not a big fan of treadmills, but I did get a good workout yesterday.

Keep Running

Training for the week

Mon - Rest Day
Tue - 8.0 Miles, easy, 9:09/mi pace
Wed – 8.0 Miles, easy, 9:01/mi pace
Thr - 7.2 Miles, tempo, 5 miles @ 7:55/mi pace; 1 mi WU, 1.2 Mi CD
Fri - 7.0 Miles, easy, 8:40/mi pace
Sat - 7.9 Miles, easy, 8:40/mi pace
Sun - 6.3 Miles, easy, 9:31/mi pace

Total Weekly Mileage: 44.4 Miles

7 comments:

Susan said...

Great weekly mileage . . . oh i hate the gurgles.

Runner Chic said...

Phil,

Keeping up with your blog. Not much time for anything else this past week. So did it feel good to sleep in a bit one day? Wish I could offer information in the timer issue. Ours at the Y reset at 60 minutes. Pain in the butt at times.

I will blog soon I hope.

Robin

Dusty said...

That doesn't sound good - hope you're feeling better.

Ann Ewbank said...

Treadmills have their place in a running routine, but I always feel like a hamster when I am on one. And I watch the time too much. I much prefer to run outdoors!

Phil said...

Ann ... your analogy is spot on! The 'mills have there place, but my gym sure makes it difficult to use them for anything over 4 miles.

I'm feeling much better today. Must have been something I ate on Saturday night ... which wasn't anything special.

I'm in Seattle tonight, so assuming I stop blogging, find some dinner, finish working and get some sleep, I should be able to get in a good run tomorrow morning.

Thomas said...

The mileage is pretty good, but try to vary it more - yes, I know you had planned a 15 miles run.

As for the dread, they ARE easier on your feet, probably to make up for the fact that they are worse for your mind. The gym I used to go to in London had a 20 minutes upper limit - count yourself lucky with 30!

Hope the stomach has settled down by now (avoid the Mexican food).

angie's pink fuzzy said...

intestinal difficulty is always, well, difficult.

treadmill = good training for the boredom one encounters on ultras (according to Matt