Friday, August 18, 2006

8 Mile Repeats

One more time around Cooper’s Loop (with Cooper). The dog seems to be getting use to the pace or at least I didn't feel as if he was dragging behind me. The morning temperatures are still over 83F (28c) here in the great South West, but it must be much drier because my shirt was only soaked down to my belly after 8 miles instead of completely soaked through (I know … lovely image).

Since I was scheduled to give blood this morning at 7:00 AM, I had to get up and out of the house even earlier than usual and managed to make it out the door around 4:55 AM this morning. If you had suggested that I’d be out exercising at 4:55 in the morning a few years ago I’d have you certified as completely nuts; but there I was running down the dark streets of north Phoenix with my dog in tow well before sun rise.

My pace this morning was much stronger than yesterday; completing the first mile in less than 9 minutes. I held this pace for the next 3 miles and slowed down a little as I started climbing the hill through mile 5. Interestingly, I got distracted thinking about a work related problem running down the back side of the hill on mile 6 and didn’t pick up any additional time. The legs must have gone back to the same cadence as the first 3 miles automatically. I usually pick up 30 seconds on my average on this jog down the hill.

I broke the rules and looked down at my watch as I started mile 7, a flat road through a residential community. Doing a little mental gymnastics I figured that I could finish 8 miles under 1:10:00 if I only pushed myself on the last two miles. Why 1:10 was important is anyone’s guess, but sometime around 6 AM this morning, it was important to me.

I finished up mile 7 in 8:41, only a few seconds faster than mile 6; so I knew I had to get my butt moving on mile 8. I completed mile 8 in 8:05 but this wasn’t sufficient to get below my irrational time target of 1:10:00. I finished the 8 mile loop in 1:10:07.

This is my "easy week" and my training calendar has me running two more 8 mile loops before I can start up again with any speed training or longer runs. We’ll see what absurd mini-goals my ego imposes tomorrow.

Keep running

Training for the week

Mon – Rest Day
Tue – 8.0 miles, easy, 8:55/mi pace
Wed – 8.0 miles, easy, 8:34/mi pace
Thr – 8.0 miles, easy, 9:16/mi pace
Fri – 8.0 miles, easy, 8:46/mi pace

3 comments:

Michele said...

GREAT job getting up AND out the door. I can't tell you how many time I almost climbed right back in bed at that hour.
That was an awesome run.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

hahaha! absurd goals. you were so close; only 7 seconds!

carmen said...

The ego can defnitely be a hard thing to overcome during weeks or days that are reserved for "easy training". I have a hard to keeping less than my marathon pace all the time.

Keep doing your thing, Phil! You're doing great! BTW, are you training for a marathon soon?