Thursday, August 03, 2006

800s on the oval


It's Thursday, therefore you can be sure to find me at PVCC's track at some ungodly hour of the morning. This morning I had the entire track to myself for the front end of my warm up, but people (by people, I mean walkers) started showing up before I had completed two miles. In addition, another gentleman (probably my age) showed up to run. It always good to have some company.

The warm up went slower than normal. Usually I have the same problem every time I step on a track - I go too fast; but not this morning. With my trip to Seattle this week and additional work pressures I've haven't been sleeping much at night; 4 to 5 hours at most. I think the lack of sleep caught up to me this morning.

I sort of stumbled around the track for 8 laps at a 10/mi pace. I couldn't believe my watch. My time on each lap of the warm-up was about 2:30, sometimes more. Throughout the warm-up, I continued to feel tightness in my left hamstring. I hoped the feeling would go away after a couple of miles, but no such luck. At the end of the warm up I stopped and took a big hit off my water bottle, thinking this would be refreshing - it wasn't. But it was time to run 800s.

My goal time for each 800 was 3:19. This seemed doable. I'd done better in California last month, so why not today. 30 feet into the first lap I realized I wasn't going to meet this target. My left hamstring tightened up, restricting my stride and my cadence wasn’t near high enough to make up the difference. I was nowhere near on pace to make 3:19 and pulled up before I'd gone 150m. I simply continued to jog around the track determined to try again, at a slightly slower pace.

Once I got back to the start line, I took off again; but much much slower than my first attempt. I hit the 200m mark at 50+ seconds and the first 400m at 1:45. I finished the first 800 in 3:31. The pattern repeated for all 5 800s, except the 3rd. On the back stretch of the 2nd lap, I started day dreaming and lost focus; resulting in a dramatic slow down. I tried to recovery, but couldn’t make up the entire time deficit. I must have AADD.

Final 800 times: 3:31, 3:30, 3:35 (oops), 3:31, 3:32

This afternoon I looked at my running log and realized that this morning's performance was the nearly the same work-out I’d done on the same track on June 27th. So, other than the senior moment on the 3rd 800, I did ok. My hamstring also felt a lot better after I’d finished.

I have another 5k scheduled for Saturday morning in North Phoenix, so I’m taking Friday off as a rest day. I’ll be back with a race report on Saturday.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Training for the week:

Mon – Rest / Travel day
Tue – 8.1 miles, easy, 9:05/mi pace
Wed - 8.0 miles, easy, 9:02/mi pace
Thr – 7.5 miles, 5x800m intervals w/ 400m recovery, 7:05/mi pace
Fri – Rest day

7 comments:

Jim said...

Phil, thanks for the pep talk. You are right that I have not been focused. I cannot believe that I have let the time slip up on me. I guess it is true that the older you get, the faster the clock spins.

3:30 800s are nothing to be ashamed of . . . at least not in my book. I believe in the Yasso 800 as a predictor of marathon times. I know you were disappointed in not getting down to the 3:15 range but you know that your body will tell you when there are problems. Sounds like the hammy was complaning yesterday. I have discovered that having a good, satisfying run is made of many facets . . . mental and emotional preparation, good diet, healthy body, physical toughness, great expectations. It is tough to get all these things working together. But when they do, you know how good it feels. Rest the hammy and be prepared for a great track workout next week!

Jim

Thomas said...

Unlike Jim I think Yasso 800s are a load of b******s when it comes to predicting marathon times, but never mind.

Good luck onthe 5k, and watch that hamstring!

Runner Chic said...

Phil,

I was holding my breath hoping that you would not end your blog with a nasty injury story.

you may have one at bay so be careful during your 5k. May be a good time to get a deep massage next week. Always good for the body.

Robin

carmen said...

Phil, it's been awhile I've been here. Good luck on your 5k this weekend! Kick some butt!

And they caught the serial shooters! Yay!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

good luck and have fun at your race this weekend!

Amy said...

Good luck tomorrow! Can't wait for the report...

and no, I am hoping that my next organizing event will not be in existence, much less organizing a gulf coast marathon....although, I think it would be really really cool for someone to organize it down hwy 90 as a fund raising effort. but jeez, i can't take on any more!

Susan said...

good luck on your 5k, can't wait for the report.