Sunday, August 06, 2006

Another hot day in Phoenix

I set out this morning to break through my 15 mile long run barrier, but didn’t quite make it. I slept in and got a late start at 6:30. In rushing out the door I forgot to eat a power bar (I just can’t face breakfast before a long run) nor did I bring along a gel pack should I need a few more calories after 10 miles or so. I did remember to fill my water thermos and hid it in its usual location along my route.

The first 5 miles went by without incident. I was a bit stiff after yesterday, particularly my left hamstring, but it warmed up after a couple of miles. I dropped my dog off at the house after 5 miles, ran down the hill to my water bottle and took a large draught and headed off on the rest of the run.

I was really feeling strong at 6 miles and getting a bit cocky at 7. The sun was very high in the sky at this point and the temperature was already over 90, but I was feeling good, so what did it matter, I was getting going to get out to 17 miles. However, things started to change after 8 miles.

Somewhere along the 9th mile my toes started to complain and my heart felt like it was racing. I can deal with the toe pain, but the heart rate was more bothersome. I slowed my pace down to accommodate the high HR, but by the time I got out passed 10 miles, I understood that I was over heating and wasn’t doing myself any favors continuing. So I pulled up and walked the mile back to my house.

All in all, despite the lack of a long run, I had a good week. I got in two great 8 mile runs in Redmond on Tueaday and Wednesday and posted my 2nd best 5k time on Saturday. I also managed to get in over 46 miles during the week with 2 rest days. I can’t complain too much. At some point, this heat will break and I can get back to running longer runs on Sundays without having to start at 4:30 or earlier :)

Have a great week running!

Training for the week:

Mon – Rest / Travel day
Tue – 8.1 miles, easy, 9:05/mi pace
Wed - 8.0 miles, easy, 9:02/mi pace
Thr – 7.5 miles, 5x800m intervals w/ 400m recovery, 7:05/mi pace
Fri – Rest day
Sat - 3.1 miles, warm up, 9:37/mi Pace; 5k, race, 6:58/mi pace; 6.3 miles, cool down, 8:57/mi Pace
Sun – 10.2 miles, easy, 9:24/mi Pace

Total Mileage for the week: 46.3

6 comments:

angie's pink fuzzy said...

I was out for only 2 miles yesterday morning down here in Tucson, and it was hot! Good job getting 10 in.

Dusty said...

Sounds good to me - but read my blog and you can laugh that my "long run" was not cut short and only 5 miles. hee hee! Glad you are paying attention to your body - running allows you to push yourself, but listening to what you need is important too.

Like the picture from the race... is that Glendale?? Maybe all the mountains look the same since I'm just so happy to see them - but wondering if that is Glendale or Peoria.

Congrats on your second best time! Your story made me laugh (where Bill didn't know he was racing you) that is the best part - before long I bet you blow by him without him expecting it!

Love2Run said...

So many variables in trying to get the long run in. Besides fueling up the day before and morning of, there was that little race that likely stole a bit of your energy too. Not to mention the heat and humidity that early in the day, ouch!

Dusty said...

Hi Phil,
Thought I recognized that mountain - I've run all of those in that area more times than I can count - but it has been more than a decade... dang, am I getting that old?!

Runner Chic said...

Phil,

Congrats on another great 5k race and another impressive week of numbers!!

Even though you did not pass your long run numbers you always have next week to try it all over again.

Stay cool and be careful out there.

By the way, loved the photo!

Robin

D said...

I feel like such a baby whining about a 6 mile run in the heat - you guys are awesome to get all the mileage in that you do w/the AZ heat! Nice job on the mileage.