Monday, August 28, 2006

California Weekend

We took out youngest daughter to a soccer tournament in Irvine California this weekend. Being paupers, we drove the nearly 400 miles from Phoenix to Irvine on Friday afternoon, getting to the hotel after 9:00 PM.

We had 8:00 AM games on both Saturday and Sunday morning, which meant I needed to get my daughter out of bed at 5:30 both days to give her time to shower and dress before the team meeting at 6:00. I knew that I wouldn’t have time to get in a run in the morning. We also had afternoon games at 1:00 on both days. Since I’m the team’s manager (which means I deal with all the non-coaching tasks for the team), I had things to do between the games to ensure the parents knew what was going on, where they needed to be, etc. My only chance for a run would be late afternoon on both days. Not enough time for a long run, but I was confident I could get in a couple of decent runs none-the-less

Saturday afternoon I took an 11 mile run through the low coastal hills between the Pacific Ocean and Irvine. Temperatures were about what I have to put up with in Phoenix; somewhere north of 83F (28C). However, I usually run in the heat before the sun rises. Running uphill in the full sun of the afternoon was a different story. Although my pace was slow, I did have a great time running along the bike path into Sand Canyon and then into Bonita Canyon.

We finished the soccer tournament by winning Flight 1 in our age division and then drove down to Carlsbad California to visit my mother-in-law. Actually, my wife and daughter visited with her. I (after a short visit) took the opportunity to run along the coast highway from my mother-in-law’s place to my sister-in-law's apartment. Running along the coast was a little cooler than the Irvine, 78F (26C), but the sun was out in full force again. The first two miles were real strong, but I was dragging on 3, 4 and 5. Still, I was running along the coast. Great scenery, lots of people running and biking, hard to beat. Mile 6 was a climb up off the coast into the hills where my sister-in-law has an apartment. I did about as well as expected running up the hill. Once I got to the top on Mile 7, my pace picked up and I finished fairly strong.

We drove back to Phoenix through San Diego Sunday night and got home around 11:30 PM. Monday is my usual rest day and since I got home so late on Sunday night, I took the opportunity to sleep in. I need to leave for Yeovil England this afternoon and won’t be back until late Friday night. I’m bringing my running gear, but I don’t suspect I’ll get in too many miles this week.

Keep running

Miles for last week:

Mon: Rest
Tue: 9.0 miles, easy, 9:06/mi pace
Wed: 8.0 miles, easy, 8:31/mi pace
Thr: 8.2 miles, 6.0 mile tempo, 7:48/mi pace + WU/CD
Fri: 2.0 miles, easy, 10:30/mi pace
Sat: 11.0 miles, easy, 9:17/mi pace
Sun: 7.0 miles, easy, 8:59/mi pace

Total for the week: 43.2 miles

4 comments:

Ann Ewbank said...

Glad you had a good time in CA. It is indeed a very different experience when the sun is beating on you as you run.

Phil, we've only got about 30 more days of 'hot' left. Then we will transition into merely 'warm'. You know you are a Phoenician when it's 75 in the morning and you notice the ""chill in the air." Hang in there.

Have fun across the pond this week!

D said...

The heat seems to be taking its toll on everyone....bring on the fall gorgeous weather!

Dusty said...

Glad you got to enjoy a run in CA! :)
Enjoy that cool weather!

Jim said...

I agree with other commenters . . . bring on the Fall!!!

Hope you have fun in England and hope you have a chance to run in some cooler weather for the week!