Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Easy does it

This week is an easy week on my training schedule. Although my plan calls for six 7 mile easy runs, I missed two good runs last week due to hamstring problems; therefore, I think I’ll probably bump up the mileage a little as the week progresses.

I really like my new (and improved) 8 mile loop and decided to take another shot at it for an easy run this morning. Temperatures are still elevated in central Arizona and the humidity is relatively high; well over 50%. However, the sun is coming up later and later and I’ve got plenty of time to get in an hour in the morning before the sun edges up over the McDowell Mountains.

This morning’s run was totally uneventful. No snarling dogs, no erratic drivers, no mean people, just plenty of running. Although the run started out very sluggish, with my thighs feeling as though they’d already run 20 miles before I took one step, everything loosened up after the first mile and I settled down into a nice sub 9:00/mi pace for most of 8 mile loop.

With any luck, I’ll be able to repeat tomorrow.

Have a great week running.

Training for the week:

Mon – Rest Day
Tue – 8.0 miles, easy, 8:55/mi pace

9 comments:

angie's pink fuzzy said...

mmm, can't wait till I'm doing 8 miles before work a few days a week...

StumbleGuy said...

Glad it's cooling down for you, and you can spend a few more minutes asleep in the mornings. I'd be a grumpy git if I'd had to manage with 4 hours like you've had to over the past week or so.

Hope this ham problem sorts quickly for you.

Andy

DawnB said...

Nice run Phil, I wish I could send some of this NE weather your way!!

Feminist Runner said...

The fall cooldown approaches. I don't know about you, but there is no better running weather.
I'm secretly a cold weather fiend anyhow. My best races have been run in long underwear, tights, three layers on top and a hat.

Hope your legs unlead themselves and your hamstring gets better.

Dusty said...

Non-eventful run.. that is a good thing! Glad you are enjoying your new loop!

Ann Ewbank said...

I have noticed a discernable difference in the weather this week. Unlike you, I get out of the house at 7 or so. I just can't bring myself to get up at the crack of 4:30!

We *only* topped out at 96 yesterday. Not bad.

D said...

Nice easy run!

carmen said...

I'm glad that you have found a new and improved 8-mile loop. I'm hoping that it gets you pepped up to run every morning.

You've been working extremely hard all summer so you deserve a week of easy running.

Love2Run said...

Enjoy the easy days, your body like the recovery time. Nice work on the long run too!