Friday, August 25, 2006

I've had better days

Perhaps it was the lack of sleep or the fall out from my tempo run yesterday, but this morning's run was less than steller. After rolling out of bed 30 minutes later than usual, I decided to cut my planned 8 mile jaunt to 5 miles (I still need to get to work afterall). However, after only a mile, it was pretty clear that I would have been better served staying in bed.

I knew I was dragging when I looked down at my Garmin somewhere around 1.2 miles into the run and saw 11:20 in the clock window. 5 minutes later I stopped for a little walk. I got myself running again but quickly slowed to a walk. I repeated this several times until two miles had passed. At 2 miles, I turned off the Garmin and walk the mile back to the house.

Tomorrow will be a new day. I'll be in California, where the temperatures are sure to be cooler. We'll see how things go.

Keep running

Mon: Rest
Tue: 9.0 miles, easy, 9:06/mi pace
Wed: 8.0 miles, easy, 8:31/mi pace
Thr: 8.2 miles, 6.0 mile tempo, 7:48/mi pace + WU/CD
Fri: 2.0 miles, easy, 10:30/mi pace

6 comments:

Mike said...

Even if it's only 2 miles, I think it's better you got out there regardless. Sometimes those "bad" days can turn into good days. At least you gave yourself the opportunity.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who can't stay in bed with two rugrats that get up in the 5's or 6's.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

Like Mike says, at least you got out there.

And yesterday's run sounds stellar!

Enjoy CA!

DawnB said...

Phil, this happens to the best of us sometimes, tomorrow you may just have the best run of the week. Believe me when I say this I know...Tomorrow is a new day for a new start :)

Enjoy your stay in CA

carmen said...

I hope you're having a great time in Cali! I'm back home right now and loving the slow dial-up connection. haha

It felt great to read a couple of the running blogs again. I feel so left behind. I'm sure in due time I will catch up.

And hey, don't feel so bad about losing 3 miles--I've lost a whole week of running.

Dusty said...

I agree with everyone - good that you got out there.

Hopefully CA is cool and gets you refreshed!

Thanks for the well wishes - still not running yet, but went for a walk.

Thomas said...

My legs are usually less than responsive the day after a tempo run, that's normal. You tried.

Have fun in California.