Wednesday, August 02, 2006

River Running in Redmond

Took another 8 mile run from my hotel to the Sammamish River this morning. As was true yesterday, so was it today: low humidity and 53F (12c). Weather you just can't beat. And as was the case on Tuesday ... no one out running!!!!!! I basically ran the same course as I did yesterday except that I turned north along the river, instead of heading south. Unlike yesterday, I didn't have a bicycle to chase down on the hill climb along mile 6, so I plodded along at a blazing 9:28 pace. The hill raises 300 feet in 1.3 miles the 520 freeway ... with an average gradient of 4.4%. The first 0.4 miles is much steeper ... closer to 6.6%; no wonder I was able to chase down a bicycle yesterday.

Not much else to report today. I flew back to Phoenix this afternoon. America West (aka US AIR) is using the crappy old 737s they picked up from the merger with US Air for this route now. I've got nothing against Boeing airplanes, but the seat pitch on the US Air planes feels like 15 inches which is a bit tight for me. Fortunatley, I got an upgrade this afternoon, so at least I was comfortable.

I included a few pictures from Redmond this week for your enjoyment.

Keep running

Training for the week:

Mon – Rest / Travel day
Tue – 8.1 miles, easy, 9:05/mi pace
Wed - 8.0 miles, easy, 9:02/mi pace


PICTURES FROM HEAVEN



Half way down the 1.3 mile hill heading towards the Sammamish River



The Sammamish River at the South Trail Head



Sammamish River Trail 1 mile from South Trail Head




Sammamish River Trail looking south with Mt. Rainier in the background




My place for pizza in down town Redmond. Doesn't look like much, but has a great little bar with plenty of Mack and Jack beer on tap.

4 comments:

Love2Run said...

Nice trip there Phil. Almost makes you not want to go back home to the heat, doesn't it?

angie's pink fuzzy said...

love those pictures

Amy said...

Looks beautiful!

jeff said...

HEY! you were running on the burke gilman trail! i used to live in issaquah and would park at marymoore park all the time and run that trail. yes, that IS heaven.