Sunday, September 03, 2006

Faux Running avec une Elliptical Trainer

Sore foot or no sore foot, I’m running in the Jerome Hill Climb on Monday. Jerome was once the 4th largest city in the Arizona Territory, but dwindled quickly when the last copper mine closed the early 1950s. It’s made a small come back as a quaint “arts” community and now hosts a unique race up the hills through the town and into the mountains along a fire road every labor day. The course is less than 5 miles long this year and I haven’t clue what the elevation change is, but it doesn’t really matter. This is an event that everyone is just running for fun.

My right foot was hurting again this morning so I decided not to risk a long run and do any more damage before Monday. As you can tell, I am totally obsessing and imagining all sorts of debilitating injuries lurking along my 5th metatarsal. If Ronko sold a MRI machine for $19.95, I would have ordered it last night. Instead of my scheduled 15 mile long run, I wimped out and went to the gym this morning. Rationalizing that the elliptical machine is the next best thing to running, I “ran” 5.1 miles in 60 minutes with the machine cranked up to 15 (whatever that means). The folks around me had their machines set in the 5 to 10 range, so I think 15 was good. I just cranked up the tunes on my MP3 player and kept my turn-over rate between 60 and 70 for an hour. I goy in a pretty good aerobic work out, burning through 1100 calories; but probably did little to help my running. We'll see how I feel tomorrow afternoon.

Training for the week:

Mon – Travel Day
Tue – 5.5 Miles, Easy, 8:48/mi pace
Wed – Work day (no rest for the wicked)
Thr – 5.5 Miles, Easy, 9:09/mi pace
Fri – 8.0 Miles, Treadmill, 8:45/mi pace
Sat – 9.3 Miles, Easy, 9:04/mi pace
Sun – 5.1 Miles, Elliptical Trainer, 60 minutes

Total Mileage for the week: 33.4 (not good!)

On a non-running note, we had quite a storm roll through North Phoenix last night. Rain fall in this area was over 2 inches in 30 minutes. The wind was blowing so hard that we couldn’t see out the windows on the north side of the house and could barely see the other houses in the neighborhood. I took a few pictures of the storm; but none of the rain pictures are usable. All I got of the actual rain were pictures full of my flash reflecting off a wall of rain drops; however, I did get a few shots of the patios on the east side of the house.

The patio on the east side of the house completely flooded. To give you an idea of how much water was pouring off the roof, I have a 3 inch pipe with 4 openings draining this area. The drain just couldn't keep up. The entire patio was dry within 2 or 3 minutes after the main storm cell finally passed.

My barbecue wasn't sitting here when the storm started. The wind was blowing so hard that it blew the barbecue while dragging a full propane tank over 6 feet across the back patio.

All the patio furniture went flying.


Thomas said...

That's quite some storm. Why weren't you tempted to head out for a run to get that "I'm hardcore" feeling?

Just kidding.

Michele said...

Wow! That is a LOT of rain. Glad you didn't get damage.
Hope your foot gets to feeling better but at least you did something. That elliptical machine is evil!

DawnB said...

We got the tail end of Ernesto late afternoon Saturday. There are people here in CT still without power. We just got ours back a few hours ago.