Tuesday, September 19, 2006

La Blessure de Jour

I’ve recovered from the stomach distress of this past weekend and I really appreciated all the kind words you left me. I must have been sicker than I thought because immediately after my previous post, I took a 3 hour nap. I hadn’t intended to take a 3 hour nap. I actually set my alarm to wake me up in an hour. The alarm went off at 2:00 PM, but I still wasn’t feeling refreshed, so I reset it for 2:30. No sooner had I put the alarm down after resetting it, but it went off. I don’t know what happened to the 30 minutes. So I reset it for 3:30. 3:30 rolled by and I just hit the snooze. 3:40, snooze; 3:50, snooze; 4:00 PM, OK, the situation was quickly getting ridiculous. I can’t sleep all afternoon. I was still in Tucson and still needed to drive 130 miles north to my home in Phoenix.

I got up at 4:00 feeling a little better, put on my running gear and walked out into the late afternoon sun. No run was forthcoming, but I did manage to get in a 3.5 mile walk around the UofA campus and surrounding neighborhoods.

I also took Monday off as it IS my official rest day. So this morning was the first time I’ve run since the 10K on Saturday. The morning temperature was a blissful 73F (23C) (the hellish summer temperatures are now a distant memory) as I took off on any easy 8 miler. The first couple of miles felt fine. My left hamstring was a little tight, but it seemed to loosen up as the run progressed. I wasn't trying to break any land speed records so I wasn’t too concerned. Unfortunately, my right calf started to tighten up on the 4th mile.

This is a new sensation. I’ve never had trouble with the calves before although I’ve certainly read about the calf problems of fellow bloggers. While waiting for a light to change I tried to stretch out the right calf. Big mistake. As soon as I start running again I could tell that the stretch had done far more harm than good. The muscle really got tight as soon as I put weight on it.

I slowed the pace down from 8:45 to 9:15 and considered stopping altogether; however, the weather was far too nice to take any thought of stopping seriously. Once I got home, I immediately applied ice, but that didn’t seem to do much. It definitely hurt, especially when I tried to walk down-stairs. I’ll do the usual Ice / Compression drill today and see how things go tomorrow.

Hope your week goes great.

Training for the week:

Mon: Rest Day
Tue: 8 miles, easy, 9:09 avg pace

7 comments:

Mike said...

For god's sake Phil, NEVER EVER stretch!! I'm kidding...sort of. I always overdo it when I try to stretch out a small area of tightness, so I just don't even try anymore.

Yes, this will come back to bite me in the ass as the years progress.

D said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I'm glad to say I've never had calf issues. Take it easy.

DawnB said...

I'm gald you're feeling better. sorry to hear about the calf. Hope it won't turn into a big issue.

Michele said...

Congrats on getting the 8 miles in despite the calf issues. Hope it gets better soon. Keep using the ice.

Glad to hear the stomach problems are gone.

Feminist Runner said...

Take care of that calf! And I have to admit, I stand with Mike. Stretching is from the devil, the devil I tell ya!
And, yes, I also know I will feel the ramifications of that stance soon. Like the next time I need to tie my shoe without a bench in sight.

Take care!

Shane (mississip) said...

I think my calf problems were shoe related. They were not over teh mileage limit but I think they were not quite right for my gait. I hope your soreness doesn't linger on as long as mine did!

Shane

Runner Chic said...

Phil,

I have been keeping up with your blog. So sorry that you were sick! I would have to agree with Mike as well. My right calf knotted up once. Very painful!!! After a week of having my husband apply a deep massage followed by icy/hot treatment it got better.

Hope you get rid of the pain soon!!

Great race times as well!!!

Robin