Friday, September 08, 2006

Mojo returns

First … an update on the right foot. I finally went to my orthopedic doctor for a look-see at my right foot. A simple X-Ray was all that was needed to fully diagnose the problem. Right there next to the proximal end of my 5th metatarsal was a small white blob, a bone chip. Evidently, some time during a prior life, I broke my right foot and left a small piece of bone floating around. During my long run a few weeks ago, this bone chip lodge itself into the tendon that attaches to the side of the foot in the same area; hence the pain.

No big deal. I’m not going to die. I don’t have a stress fracture. I don’t need to stop running. I just need to deal with it. I can do that. On this positive news, I did much better on my 8 mile jaunt around Cooper’s loop this morning. Average pace was 8:35/mi with last two miles run in 8:06 and 8:08 respectively.

I’m heading down to a soccer camp south of Benson Arizona with my daughter’s soccer team this weekend. I will not have my PC with me, so I will be unable to respond to your blogs until Monday. I hope you have a great weekend of running and racing. If you get a chance, go over to Dawn's blog and wish her well. She is running in the Norwalk 1/2 marathon on Saturday.

Training for the week:

Mon – 4.6 miles, Race, 9:43/mi avg pace. 4.6 mile wu/cd
Tue – 8.0 miles, Easy, 9:22/mi avg pace
Wed - 4.7 miles, Easy, 13:42/mi avg pace
Thr – Rest Day
Fri – 8.0 miles, Easy, 8:35/mi avg pace

6 comments:

Mike said...

Glad to hear it's nothing too serious, though it does sound a bit painful. But a bone chip? I've never heard that one before. Have a good trip.

Michele said...

That does sound painful, will it shift again?

Have a great weekend and enjoy the trip

DawnB said...

Phil thank you. I know its late my son had a game tonight. I'm glad things worked well for you. Good luck with the tournament this week end. Bad or good race report will follow. Have a wonderful weekend.

Feminist Runner said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Feminist Runner said...

Ouch! You must have had a pretty active previous life. I'm glad it's diagnosed. At least now you know how to best kick its ass.

Have a nice trip! Don't lose your mojo.

Thomas said...

I presume you knew that you had broken that foot before?

Anyway, it's great news that it's nothing serious, and you don't even have to stop running, lucky guy. But does that mean you might have to deal with the pain on a regular basius from now on?

Hope the tournament went well.