Saturday, September 30, 2006

The "Phitz" Plan continues

I continue to follow the “Phitz” 55 Mile/Week Marathon training plan with only a minor amount of cheating – a few extra miles here, a little hill work there. Of course if I decided to follow the 70 Mile/Week plan like Thomas, I’d be little more than a quivering mass of flesh by now – so it’s all relative

Running is sure a joy again now that the morning temperatures are in the low to mid 70s again. I was supposed to go out on a 5 miler this morning at a “recovery” pace. But I couldn’t keep my pace any slower than 8:50/mi, which is faster than I’ve run all week. Oh well.

Now I’ve got to figure out what I’m doing tomorrow. We’re going to Tucson today for a soccer game and spending the night down there to visit with the older kids. I know there’s an 8K near the University of Arizona on Sunday morning; but I’m scheduled for 13 Miles on Sunday. Perhaps I could run the 8K for fun (I’m certainly not under any pressure to perform) which would give me 9 miles with a 2 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down and then run an additional 4 miles after the race. This wouldn’t be exactly the same as a 13 miler, but I could convince myself that it would be close.

Oh .. if you get a chance, drop in on Michele’s blog and congratulate her on the 20 miler she ran yesterday. I don’t know how these folks can pound out this sort of mileage and then head off to their kid’s school for a pizza party as if they’ve spent the morning lounging around the house. Just amazing.

Have a great weekend

Training for the week:

Mon – Rest Day (1.6 mile walk)
Tue – 8 miles, easy, w/ 10x100 strides, 9:07/mi avg pace
Wed – 3.4 miles, hills, w/ 4x400 sprints, 9:30/mi avg pace
Thr – 10.3 miles, easy, 9:10/mi avg pace
Fri - Rest day (and very early AM call to my buddies in France)
Sat - 5.45 miles, easy, 8:44/mi avg pace

11 comments:

Mike said...

I was about to email you to see if you were racing. I mean come on, how often do you get to run a race on the campus where your family goes to school?

It's a fun event and you can run east from the UA mall on 3rd street for a nice cool down and do a lap or two around grassy Himmel Park. It's a no-brainer. Plus, you'll be one up on the first 4 mile tempo run, which should be coming up soon anyway.

Make sure to say hi if you show up, I should have the whole family in tow.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

Definitely run the 8k on campus!!! I'm with Mike; it's a no-brainer. You've got to!

Hopefully I'll see you there :)

Ann Ewbank said...

You should totally run the 8k!

Phil, I continue to be amazed at your dedication and level of performance.

Keep on rockin' the miles!!!!!

carmen said...

I just wanted to stop by to thank you for the encouraging words that you last left on my blog. They really helped me on a 4.5 mile run I did last night. I ran with the intent of not worrying about my time and my pace. I just kept chugging along and I felt great the whole way.

Thanks, Phil!

Feminist Runner said...

Since we're voting, I vote for the race!

I definitely think you're the type who can pound out a 20 miler and then go to your kid's school. You've got all the makings of it.

Michele said...

Do the race, I look forward to the report.
Have a great visit with your kids.

Great job on the "recovery run". Hope I can get that kind of pace on my Tempo run next week.

Dusty said...

OK, you sound like Mike with your recovery runs and going "too fast" :) I love to read these blogs!

I vote for the race - hope you did it! Mike - have fun at the race too!

neese said...

sounds like a great sunday plan! nice pace on your 5 miler too

Anonymous said...

Wish you success on the Phitz training!

Enjoy the 8k, I don't believe you can avoid the temptation to be there :D

DawnB said...

I hope all went well today. Don't let the race demons get you...this week 8k, next week 10k, the following what the heck a 5k etc...you find ways of working them into your plan...Its addictive I tell you, but what better addiction to have!!!! :)

Dusty said...

OK - this is not like you. You okay? Hope you are, drop a line so we just know you are too busy to blog. :)