Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Different Drummer

Today’s run was a 9 miler with 4 miles at ½ marathon pace. Yeah, right. My back is still hurting from this weekend (although I can almost stand up straight) and my legs are nearly dead from my sprint up the North Rim last Friday. The first 3 miles were an exercise in futility as I tried to get my back to loosen up. I completed the first mile in a blazing10:34 and eventually worked my way down to 9:49 on the 3rd mile as my back did finally loosen up and I no longer looked as if I was shuffling to buffet at the adult day-care center.

Eventually the Garmin beep at 3 miles indicating that the warm-up was over and off I went on my tempo run. Two weeks ago I ran 4 miles under 7:40. This morning, the first tempo mile “zipped” by in 9:07. Yep … I sped up to my easy 10 mile pace for my tempo run. I wasn’t wearing my HR monitor, so I have no idea how hard I was working. It really didn’t matter. I wasn’t going to go any faster. The next three miles were marginally better: 8:59, 8:58, and 8:45; but still no where near 7:40.

Tomorrow is, as they say, a new day. Seeing how it is already mid-night, I’ll get to run a 5 mile recovery run on 4 ½ hours sleep. Should be fun. (boy, do I ever complain when I’m not feeling well!)

Hope your week is going better.

Training for the week:

Mon - Rest Day
Tue - 9 miles, Tempo w/4 miles @ 8:58/mi avg

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, now you are running at my pace!! Well, ok, not my pace lately. Guess we are both in a slump.
Hope this morning run went better.

Feminist Runner said...

I could so almost keep up with on that run! Almost being the key word.

Take it easy on yourself and get some rest. You deserve it, and I think you might need it after that little walk you took over the weekend.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll give advice because mine are always looking on the brighter side. And yes tomorrow is another running day. I think you like the kick me in the butt advice, which I don't like to give unless someone really needs it. I on the other hand understand that we have our good and bad days, though I don't think this was a particully bad day for, considering. Wow you're tough, I'm going to need it when I start training for my BQ!!So here is to a better run tomorrow. :) just had to get that in there:)

Anonymous said...

Good job on the run - gotta be tough when you are still working out the kinks. You sure did have a beautiful hike. Hope you are completely upright soon!

Love2Run said...

There are good days and bad days and then there are just too tired to run any faster days. Sometimes your body just up and lets you know it's time for a rest. How about sleeping in tommorow? Do your best!