Monday, October 30, 2006

Going to the Dogs

As I was trying to get out my front door on Sunday morning for an easy 5 mile recovery run, my 11 year-old lab/golden retriever mix insisted that he go along with the younger black lab. So I grabbed his collar and headed out the door with two 75+ lb dogs in tow. Cooper, the black lab, was very confused. He wanted to take his usual spot at my left leg, but the older dog simply pushed him aside to get the favored spot. After a few hundred meters of jostling for position, Cooper ended up running in front and the older dog (Marcel) running behind.

Of course, Marcel didn’t realize that we were out for a run and wanted to stop to smell every interesting object on the road way. After a few good tugs on his collar, he finally got the message and fell into a steady rhythm. This lasted until we passed the 1 mile mark.

After a mile, Marcel started slowing down and by 1.5 miles I knew I needed to take him home. His breathing was becoming labored and he had extended the leash as far as it would go behind me. Cooper was enjoying the change since it allowed him move back and run directly to my left. I must have been quite a sight running with these two dogs. One happy as can be with his tail wagging; the other at the end of his leash with my left arm extend straight back trying to encourage him to keep moving for a few more metrs.

After I dropped Marcel off at the house, Cooper and I went back out to finish up the rest of the run. The last 3 miles went very smooth indeed.

Today (Monday) is a rest day and tomorrow starts week 7 of the Pfitzinger 18 week/55 miles per week plan. That should be fun. I hope your week goes great.

Training for the week:

Mon - Rest Day
Tue – 8.0 Miles, easy w/8x100m strides, 8:54/mi avg pace
Wed – 5.0 Miles, recovery, 9:00/mi avg pace
Thr – 8 .0 miles, easy, 8:39/mi avg pace
Fri – 5 .0miles, recovery, 8:58/mi avg pace
Sat – 20.2 miles, long, 9:17/mi avg pace
Sun – 5.2 miles, recovery, 9:05/mi avg pace

Total mileage for the week: 51.7

5 comments:

carmen said...

How fun. The last time I ever ran with a dog was in high school. I found myself missing the company as I was reading your entry. So how is the running in Phoenix these days? I'm excited to go back next weekend to run the 10k. :)

Feminist Runner said...

Awwwwwwww......

Anonymous said...

Phil, enjoy your rest day today you earned it. You are only on 7 weeks, wow I'm surprise you did a 20 miler so soon. As you can see I didn't get a chance to get the book yet!!

Anonymous said...

haha - I can picture it.

D said...

I miss running with my dog. He is still recovering from knee surgery. I guess I have other dogs to run w/but they really don't get the whole running thing!