Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Thank you all for the kind thoughts concerning my wife. She had a rough time last night, but is doing much better today. I was scheduled to go up to Seattle on Monday morning, but I think it’s best that I stay home as long as she taking Oxycodone. We have an appointment with her orthopedic doctor to have a look at the broken toe. I think things will settle down over the next several days.

Yesterday I made a cardinal running error. I fully realize that I counsel everyone to warm up slowing before running hard. Well, I guess I figured that applied to everyone but me. The Pfitzinger plan has a number of short 4 mile recovery runs interspersed between the harder workouts. It’s been a long while since I ran only 4 miles in a single workout, so I decided to have some fun with them. Yesterday I put on my HR monitor and decided to run the 4 miles at 150 BPM. The first three miles sailed by at 8:21, 8:04 and 8:07. Right as I started mile 4, it felt as if the tendons on the back side of my knee tightened up. I shortened up my stride and immediately started fretting about the problem. The problem was actually the lower part of my right hamstring. I hadn’t warm up and paid the price. After spending Saturday icing the hamstring off and on during the day, it was in much better shape by Sunday morning.

The Pfitzinger plan had a 14 miler on the schedule for this morning. I usually try to start my long runs before 6 AM, but got a very late start today. When I finally got out of the house, the temperature was nearly 80 and increasing quickly. I picked the course with the most hills for this run and got a great run in over the first 8 miles: 8:56, 8:54, 9:04, 8:57, 8:57, 8:48, 8:56, and 9:09. My HR stuck at 145 through most of this run, only increasing slightly during the up hill portions. I took a quick stop at the end of 8 to get a long drink from my thermos and headed out for the next loop, but it wasn’t the same. I struggled through 9, 10 ,11 and 12 in 9:20, 9:01, 9:20 and 9:14 and then headed back up the hill on mile 13 (9:46). By the time I got to end of a long down hill on mile 14 (9:06), my legs were entirely dead. My heart rate had stayed at 145 through the first 10 miles, was not hovering closer to 155. I was completely drain and walked another mile back to the house.

It wasn’t pretty. I hope your weekend went better.

Training for the week:

Mon – Rest Day
Tue – 8.0 Miles, w/ 4 miles at LT, 7:34/mi avg pace
Wed - Rest Day (over slept)
Thr - 10.8 Miles, easy, 9:09/mi avg pace
Fri – 4.1 Miles, easy, 8:35/mi avg pace
Sat – 4.1 Miles, easy, 8:25/mi avg pace
Sun – 14.0 Miles, easy, 9:06/mi avg pace

Total mileage for the 40.9 miles

7 comments:

Love2Run said...

Phil, it's called a recovery run for a reason. Slow easy, trippin over your feet slow, even if you're feeling good! Cause the next day there is always that harder or longer run lurking, which 'may' not go as well as planned, right?

Check out this amazing site and see how the Kenyans run easy, up to 2min/mile slower than their normal days!
http://www.chasingkimbia.com/

Mike said...

Ugh, tough day Phil. It's possible the stress of your bride's injury is wearing on you a bit, which certainly can have an adverse affect on the training. I can only pass on the same advice everyone gives me when my kids are sick, which is do the best you can with the time you have. I'm sure the next long one will go better. I hope your wife recovers soon.

Jenny said...

Sounds like you had a tough weekend which is not surprising in the circumstances :-( I hope things start looking up again in the new week :-)

D said...

Sorry about your wife's injury. Chalk this run up as simply a bad one and go on to the next one. I had one of those yesterday!

DawnB said...

These days happens to all of us Phil. Hang in there. And with the temps the way they are makes it more so. Today we were in the 80's in fact when I was driving home it was 83F. Unusally high for October. Just take it one day at a time. Tomorrow is another runing day, we are never short of them, thats for sure :)

Thomas said...

Phil, the most important lesson a runner can learn is to run the recovery runs slowly. Really slowly. This really is critical.

Have we hammered it home enough by now?

Hope your wife is better by now. It sounded nasty.

Feminist Runner said...

Oh, Phil, we can't always listen to our own advice. That's why we offer it to others.
I hope you're feeling better after a tough weekend and that your wife is recovering.