Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Got’a love Pfitz (la semaine trios)

Week 3 of the Pfitzinger marathon training program kicked off today with a 4 mile tempo run at LT pace. After running a decent 8K on Sunday, I had serious doubts about cranking out an 8 miler with 4 miles in the 7:30-7:49 range. Although cooler than the scorching highs of July, summer keeps trying to hang on, leaving the low temperature this morning just south of 80F (27C); not exactly perfect tempo running weather.

I ran my 2 mile warm up very slow, fretting about what would happen once I needed to start running the tempo. However, my concerns were over blown. I blew through the 4 mile tempo in 7:34, 7:40, 7:34 and 7:26. I had trouble getting the pace right on the first mile, taking off way too fast; running closer to my 10K pace than to my ½ marathon pace. I got situation under control and slowed down. As a result the front end of mile 2 was a little slower than I wanted. I picked up the pace again on mile 3 and kept the pace cranked up on mile 4. Boy, you can cover a lot of miles at this pace! It’s always fun to see how you speedy folks run on your easy training runs. This is FUN!

Please go over and check out
Mike from New Brunswick’s
blog. Mike ran a PR of 3:14 in the Wine Glass Marathon. He’s worked very hard to get to 3:14 and is now my official hero, demonstrating that one need not slow down in their 50s. It’s great to have someone my age, my height and my weight excelling at this distance. His tremendous achievement not only gives me something to chase, but also wipes out any possibility of using the usual excuses for not improving.

Have a great week running

Training for the week:

Mon – Rest Day
Tue – 8 Miles, w/ 4 miles at LT, 7:34/mi avg pace

10 comments:

D said...

What a fast 8 mile run! Nice job.

Michele said...

Wow that is an awesome tempo run. Here I am whining about 8:38 pace and you are cranking out yours a full minute faster !!

Mike said...

Wow Phil, you bounced back quickly from a great race. Nice workout today. I took a look at the 18 week plan after meeting you on Sunday, and I think if you feel up to it you could lengthen some of the early long runs. Just something to think about if you find yourself with too much extra energy.

Also, as a running snob I have to insist that if you're using the program of a great coach, you need to start spelling it Pfitzinger, not Phitzinger!!

Hilda said...

Your fears had no basis, you are fast.

It is always encouraging to know about this type of guys like Mike. There is still time and hope to reach my 50's and set a real PR.

DawnB said...

Phil all I can say is you are a natural. Keep it up. You're doing great. I plan to pull some of that good vibe my way.

Feminist Runner said...

Wow, nice job on the pace! I love the easy run/quick pace dichotomy. It's true, you can cover a lot of miles at that pace!

Pat Monahan said...

Nice Run, Phil. And thanks for the comments on my blog. I do appreciate help from more experienced runners. I know a 1/2 marathon is a lot for me now, but I'm prepared to do my best and walk it in if I have to. I'll leave the fast times to you and others.

Thanks again, Pat

Ann Ewbank said...

nice run!!!

neese said...

excellent tempo run, phil.

Love2Run said...

Ah shucks, you're embarrassing me ;-) Glad to hear Pfitz is fun for you too. Yes, some of his workouts seem a little scary at 1st but it's always amazing what you can get the lazy body to do. Keep it up!