Friday, October 27, 2006

Hydration

I learned yet another life lesson this morning: you’ve got to stay hydrated, even when the temperature is well under 80F.

I about fell off my scale this morning after I got out of bed; the thing read 169. I was 172 yesterday and found it hard to believe that I’d lost 3 lbs of body fat in 24 hours. What I’d lost, of course, was 48 oz of water. I’m usually a good boy when I’m in my North Phoenix office. I keep a 1.5L bottle of water on my desk and drink from it throughout the day, but I spent Wednesday and Thursday sitting in a conference room in our Tempe facility slurping down a few cups of luke-warm decaf coffee. Evidently that wasn’t enough fluid.

Today’s run was a 5 miler at an easy recovery pace. My heart quickly increased to 135 on the 1st mile and continued to climb through miles 2 and 3, even though my pace was just around 9:00/mi. My HR increased to 145 by the time I finished up mile 4, at which time I just said “screw it”. I still had a short hill to climb and there was no sense slowing down any further. I think my HR peaked out at 155 by the time I got to the top of the hill.

My pace was certainly a recovery run, by my HR was approaching a tempo run. Yesterday I ran and nice steady 5 miles at 8:20/mi and kept my HR around 145. This morning I ran the same 5 miles at 9:00/mi with my HR pushing 150. Amazing what 3 lbs of water will buy you.

Have a great weekend.


Mon - Rest Day
Tue - 8 Miles, easy w/8x100m strides, 8:54/mi avg pace
Wed – 5 Miles, recovery, 9:00/mi avg pace
Thr – 8 miles, easy, 8:39/mi avg pace
Fri – 5 miles, recovery, 8:58/mi avg pace

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job on the runs Phil. I don't think I hydrate enough myself. Good to hear that your wife is back at the gym. You're doing well with the heart rate monitor also. Have'nt use mine in a while. Keep it up and have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Drinking a lot of coffee is actually worse than just not drinking enough water - caffeine is dehydrating, and should be avoided if you can.

Runningdoctor said...

Phil, if you ever find yourself lacking a topic to write about, please describe how your Garmin works. I have only heard bits and pieces abot Garmins outside your blog. How precise are they, etc?

Amy said...

It seems so easy to forget to drink enough water when it gets cooler outside....I've resorted to keeping a case in my car, just "in case"...I know...cheesy...but it has worked so far with this balmy weather we've been having!