Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A new beginning

Thanks to Mike (Arizona), Mike (New Brunswick) and Thomas (there is but one) for providing an abundance of sage advice concerning my less than stellar “long” run over the weekend. They all drove home that I really need to follow the program and not try to invent my own definitions. Of course, they were right. Instead of running my recovery runs during the previous week at a recovery pace, I got cute and ran them much too hard. Not wanting to repeat my mistake (at least not wanting to repeat my mistake this morning) I made sure that I actually ran the workout prescribed by Pfitzinger instead of Phil’s wacky marathon training program.

This morning’s work out was an 8 miler at a general aerobic pace with 10x100m strides thrown in to break up the monotony. To ensure that I actually ran this run at a pace within my general aerobic range (70-85% HRmax), I strapped on the dreaded HR monitor and hit the road at 5:00 AM.

After a SLOW two mile warm up (HR = 120), I picked up the pace to something just south of 9:00/mi. My HR increased to 125 immediately. I ran 2 strides per mile for the next 5 miles, but my HR never recovered back to125 after the first 100m stride. It bounced up to 141 on the stride and then settled back down to the 131 to 135 range over the next ¼ mile. My average HR for the entire run computed out to 133.

I think I demonstrated that I can actually follow directions … at least I can for one day. Have a great week.

This week's Training:

Mon - Rest Day
Tue - 8.1 miles, easy w/ 10x100m strides, 8:58/mi

4 comments:

Dusty said...

Ouch - caught up on your blog and saw about your wife's toe. I hope she is feeling better!! Sounds like a strong woman through the pain.

Good job on following the workout plan. I'm not good with following directions of any kind, but I think sometimes (such as with a workout plan) it is best to sit back and follow it. I hope it pays off for you soon!

Anonymous said...

Good job follow the plan, I know it is hard when you are feeling good.

Mike said...

Hey, it's a long program! By the time you're at peak mileage and you're asked to do a medium-long run, a 20-some miler and a tempo run in the same week, you'll be remembering the few easy 4-milers with fondness!

A heart rate monitor? I have one of those, I think it's being used as a tie-back on one of the sets of drapes somewhere. I may break it out again yet.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I run with an HRM every single day of the week. I don't even look at it during the run, it's just there to time the runs and to provide the average HR at the end.

I feel lost if I don't strap it on.