Thursday, October 19, 2006

New Life in these Legs

I took yesterday off as another rest day and got an extra hour of sleep. It helped considerably. Although my back was still stiff this morning when I got up for my 10 mile run, I could at least could stand up fairly straight without pain.

The temperatures are finally down to the low 60sF which makes for real nice running weather. Since my running has generally sucked since my Canyon trip, I started off this morning very slow and easy, spending the first two miles warming up before taking my HR up to 135. My back loosened up after a mile and running with a running in the general aerobic range was effortless with an average pace at 9:02 … a good sign. For miles 7, 8 and 9, I pushed my HR up to 150+ and tried to run closer to MP. These three miles were all over the map (8:26, 8:16, 8:39), but at least they were sub 9:00 and much better than the “tempo” run on Tuesday. I backed my HR back down under 140 for the final 1.3 and cruised back into my neighborhood.

Enjoy the rest of your week.

Training so far:

Mon - Rest Day
Tue - 9 miles, Tempo w/4 miles @ 8:58/mi avg
Wed – Rest Day
Thr – 10.3 miles, Easy, 8:49/mi avg pace

7 comments:

D said...

Your photos are absolutely gorgeous. Wow. That bridge would scare me. What a workout. Nice job on your recent run. This is a nice mental boost for you!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better and got in a great run.

carmen said...

So glad that you are feeling better and it's so nice to hear that the temperatures are right around perfecto now! It must make running even more enjoyable. I still shudder at the temps we had this summer.

I'll never forget the night it was 108. hehe

Love2Run said...

Smart man! You know when to take rest when it's needed very unlike a certain red haired runner wabbit that I know...

Feminist Runner said...

Glad you're on the mend! Taking it easy after, I dunno, hiking up the Grand Canyon seems like a must.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're getting back into the groove. I'd say it was a smart move not to force the pace on the tempo run, and to rest for another day. Listening to your body is more important than slavishly following a schedule.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your back is relaxing a bit. Hope you are 100% again soon!