Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Back to back long runs

I’m certainly no Dean Karnazes, but I’ve run 46.3 miles in 3 runs over 4 days. Not too bad pour moi.

I got out of the house at 4 AM this morning for a quick 18 miler. I ran 18 last Sunday, took a rest day on Monday and ran 10 on Tuesday; so I was a little unsure how this run would go. I’ve never run back to back long runs (over 17 miles) in 4 days. Being an election night junkie, I didn’t get much sleep last night, but it didn’t seem to matter much. I was feeling pretty good on the first mile and felt completely warmed up before I completed 2 miles. There was very little traffic out at 4 in the morning, so I more or less had the road to myself; expect a I did pass one jogger on my first 5 mile loop. What are these people doing up this early in the morning?

Not much to report on the run. I held an incredibly steady pace through the first 15 miles and kicked it into high gear for the last 3. I set up the loops so that I had a short but steep hill to climb on miles 5, 10, 15 and 18. Running up hills really knocks me out of my rhythm. My breathing gets heavy and I have to fight to get everything back under control. I figure it’s good practice. Aside from some slight discomfort on mile 13, everything else went very smooth. Also, this was the longest run for my dog Cooper. He finished without complaint and could have gone further had we had the time.

Run Summary:

Miles 1–5 : Average Pace 8:59/mi
Miles 5-10: Average Pace 8:54/mi
Miles 10-15: Average Pace 8:55/mi
Miles 16-18: Average Pace: 8:34/mi

Overall average pace for 18.2 miles: 8:52/mi

The rest of the week is easy recovery runs in preparation for a 10K on Sunday. Should be very nice.

Hope your week is going well.

13 comments:

tb1 said...

Nice pace on your long runs. You should easily break 4 hours at the marathon. I'm in the low 9's on my long runs, so you are a little ahead of me in training. And I'm just now learning how to run fast. I didn't know it was going to be this hard. I start long running (>=18 miles) next week. If you want to hook up at the 10K just to shoot the breeze, I'll probably be hanging out at the start of the 5K and then moving to the finish line to watch the 5K front runners finish. We might be able to run part of the race together to pace each other but then there are numerous other runners that will no doubt finish with similar times. I will look for someone like your picture at the race. I am 6'4" tall, 200 lbs. I will be wearing a white baseball cap with "DRAKE CREW" emblazoned in blue with crossed oars, blue shorts, brown underarmour t-shirt. If I don't see you there, Good Luck.

Mike said...

Hope you guys meet up and enjoy the race. I love reading about how something as serious as an 18 miler has become commonplace for you so quickly Phil. Cooper is ready for the Animalympics for sure.

Hilda said...

You are the one who knows, but if you taper next week, you will leave spining many around you!

10k will be so easy, now I am looking forward for this race!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! That is some impressive milage and a great pace.

Good luck at your race.

Love2Run said...

Hey Phil,
You're really getting into this mega mileage stuff nicely. It's amazing to see how you've progressed so quickly. Now rest up for the race and then back to the plan. Good luck!

david said...

Good job on the high mileage....the splits really look good. I don't see how you are able to it that early. I always seem to run slower in the morning. Guess it just comes with age. Good luck with the 10k Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the New Times on Sunday. It looks like you came up with a really good solution to getting your mileage in this week.

Runningdoctor said...

Phil, you are a monster. Don't overdo it and get injured now.

Feminist Runner said...

Yay, Phil! Cooper better watch out with all that mileage!

Ann Ewbank said...

I love how you say "quick 18 miler" heh heh

Ann Ewbank said...

oh yeah- see you at the 10k!

I'll be at the AZTECH training tent if you want to say hi. We have our own private port-a-potty :)

Anne said...

Cooper sounds like a decent pacer. Good luck this weekend.

Anonymous said...

You are doing great Phil, good luck this weekend. I'm thinking you might just break 40min this weekend on the 10K. Someone say you'll break 4:00hrs for your marathon. only my pace may get a sub 4 :) like 3:59 if I focus really well. I'm predicting 3:30 for your 1st marathon with the way your training is going :)