Friday, November 10, 2006

Getting race ready

Thank you very much for all the kind words for my last post as well as your predictions of fast times at the New Times 10K on Sunday. Since I don’t want to screw up my marathon training (any more than I have already), I’m planning to run this race as a tempo run. It will be faster than my usual pace, but I don’t intend to go out there and try to break any records. I really want to focus on a nice consistent pace over the entire course.

I know there are lots of you running in the New Times 10K on Sunday, including Carmen, Ann, and Tony (sorry Tony, I don’t have link to your blog) as well as Pat, who is running the 5K course. I’ll be wearing my usual outfit – Blue ASICS sleeveless top, Black ASICS shorts, and a White “Runner’s Den” cap. The exact outfit you see in almost every picture I’ve every posted. My bib number is 222.

I took this afternoon off as a vacation again and waited until 1:00 PM before going out for my run. For some reason, I just wanted to run in the warm sun (it is suppose to cool off next week). My heavily revised plan for the week called for 6 miles w/ 8x100m strides. I spent the first two miles warming up before starting the strides on mile 3. I ran 4 strides on mile 3, 3 on mile 4 and 1 on mile 5. Mile 6 was my typical cool down, run way too fast. Average pace for the 6.2 mile run: 8:41/mi

Hope your week is going well. I'm looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible on Sunday.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Phil. As long as you don't get stuck in the crowds, we all expect a new PR - no pressure then.

tb1 said...

I'll look for you. I'm just going to run hard. I have no idea where I'll end up because of my training week. I've been doing a lot of speed work.

Feminist Runner said...

Good luck, Phil! Sounds like you've got a great plan for making this race work for your training rather than against it.
Knock 'em dead!

Anonymous said...

Phil, sounds like you have a really good plan. Good luck and keep your stride short so you can dodge those baby strollers. Also, thanks for the great advice on my blog, I intend to put it to good use.

Later...

Mike said...

Have a great race Phil. I think you might just surprise yourself with the time, as you've really been putting the work in. I look forward to the report.

Isn't it great how everyone expects everyone else to PR at every race they do?

Ewen said...

All the best for the 10k Phil. Off that marathon training you should have a strong second half.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you and all who is running this race on Sunday Phil. Although you are not planning on going all out on this. I know you'll do well!!! have fun

carmen said...

Good luck Phil...you always do superb in all of your races. I don't know what I'll be wearing tomorrow but I'll definitely either be wearing a white Adidas cap with black stripes or a white IronGirl cap.

My bib number is 3494. I'll keep a look out. :)

D said...

Geez, I go away for a few days and you start stringing runs like 46.3 miles in 3 sessions together. Wow. That 18 mile run was well executed. Nice job Phil. I hope you did well in your race today.

carmen said...

I'm looking forward to your race report. I know this guy from my hometown that ran the 10k. He usually runs it every year. Anyhow, he always finishes in the 44-45 min range and I thought he was fast.

Then I checked the results and you beat him. You sure are fast!

I was kind of disappointed with this year's 10k. I was telling Ann that I thought the bands were distracting in a bad way and so were those bellydancers near the end.

Maybe I'm just crabby because I started late. :/

Great run as always!