Thursday, November 02, 2006

It's a beautiful morning

It is simply amazing what one can do when the temperature is an ideal 55F (13C). This morning I set out, with my dog Cooper, to run 11 miles somewhere between 9:10 and 9:15/mi. I left my Garmin and HR monitor at home, choosing instead to run with a simply sports watch.

With a relaxing rest day yesterday and near perfect weather (at least as near perfection as you can get at 5:00 AM) this morning, every thing just came together. When I got to the end of the first mile at 9:03, I knew I’d be running this course a little faster than usual. Of course Evil Phil woke up on mile 2 and told me to take it easy. 9:10 was the target and there was no sense over doing it when we still had 10 miles to go. But I didn’t feel like I was pushing anything, I was just running. So I continued to ignore him. My right foot started to hurt under the middle toe to which Evil Phil started yammering about taking it easy; but my experience has been that this pain is a result of an awkward gait at slower speeds. So I sped up a little.

I picked up more confidence when I passed the end of mile 2 at 17:xx (couldn’t see the seconds). At mile 3 my watch read 26:xx (I really need to wear my glasses when I run) so I knew I was somewhere under 9:00/mi. I don’t know where mile 4 ends, so I wouldn’t get another time hack for another 2 miles.

I pushed the “lap” button as I past the end of mile 5. Time was now 42:xx or at least 2 minutes ahead of a 9:00/mi pace. The legs were still feeling good and my breathing was under control, even after running up the hill on mile 5. I still didn’t feel as if I was over doing it as I started my second lap around the 5 mile loop. The next time I looked at my watch was at the end of mile 8. The watch read 1:08:xx. I run most of my 8 milers in the 1:12:xx region, so I knew I was probably somewhere between 8:30/mi and 8:45/mi at this point. Hard to tell; but, the legs were still feeling strong and pace was relaxed.

Mile 9 flew by and I headed up the hill on Mile 10 determined to keep the pace up. My breathing got a little shallow as I approach the top of the first hill but quickly got under control as I ran down the other side. I hit the lap button at the end of mile 10 - 1:24:xx. I ran the math in my somewhat dazed brain … 1:24, round up to 1:25, that equals 85 minutes, divide by 10, you get 8.5 minutes per mile, which is 8:30/mi. Holly crap; I’d just run 10 miles at MP; maybe I was going too fast.

As I approached the only Traffic Signal on the last mile, the light of course turned RED; however, I’d be damned if I was going to stop now, so I turned left off my measured course into the unknown. Only one more mile to go; but where was a mile? Why had I left my Garmin at home? I just kept running straight down the street for 4 minutes and then zig zagged through the local neighborhood back to the offending Traffic Light before I stopped; praying that I’d made it to 11 miles, which I did (barely)

Run Summary:

Miles 1 – 5: 8:37/mi avg
Miles 6 – 10: 8:22/mi avg
Mile 11 – 7:57/mi avg

The only thing I regret is not applying lubricant to certain delicate areas that tend to chafe after an hour or so on the road. Oh well, next time. I did ice down my hamstrings afterwards, but I haven’t had any residual soreness. I find this amazing. The last time I’d run 11 miles this fast was in a ½ marathon this past February. My average pace for the ½ marathon was 8:23/mi. My average pace this morning on a relaxed long run was 8:28/mi. Instead of feeling like I got run over by a train as I did at the end of the ½ marathon, my legs felt as if I’d been out for an easy 4 mile recovery jog.

It is days like this that make running fun. I hope your week is going as well.

Training for the week:

Mon – Rest Day
Tue – 10.3 miles, w/ 5 miles @ 7:41/mi, 8:41/mi avg pace
Wed – 4.1 miles, recovery, 9:18/mi avg pace
Thr – 11.0 miles, medium-long, 8:28/mi avg

7 comments:

Mike said...

I buy those sticks of bodyglide two at a time Phil. Very nice run, it reminds me of an old saying I read in an interview with someone who was training with a group of Kenyans. "Don't waste a good day" was their motto. I think these unplanned faster efforts are even more rewarding than the planned tempos and such because the mind is more "free" during the effort.

Are you planning on running a half marathon during your run-up to Carlsbad?

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,

thanks for the link to the article on stitches it completely applys to me and what i went through last sunday.

Feminist Runner said...

We have to find Evil Phil a hobby, other than bugging the shit out of Good Phil. Glad you had a good run!

Anonymous said...

Phil, what a great run. You are doing great. Its going to be
hard to PR your 1st marathon the next time around :)and by the way thank you!!!

carmen said...

Is it just me or are you getting faster?

D said...

Ouch - I bet that hurt when the water first hit you in the shower after this run. Two words: Body Glide.

Great run Phil. You ran it strong and finished even stronger.

Hilda said...

Perfect run, how nice to be able to run easily at that pace, even better to feel great after an effort like that.

Better no to take chances and use vaseline alwayas. I do it as part of my dressing.

Thanks for your always nice comments Phil it is always nice to recieve kind words. :)