Sunday, November 19, 2006

MP Attempt

Although it is November in Arizona like it is everywhere else in North America, the temperature hit 88F (31C) this afternoon. Not exactly perfect running weather for my first significant MP run; but, what are you going to do? The calendar says 15 Miles with 12 at MP, so that’s what I did. I got started at 10AM, so the peak temperature at the end of the run was probably under 85F (29C). Although, not at the peak for the day, not exactly sweater weather either.

After a lackluster warm up, I dropped off my black lab at the house so I could focus on the MP part of the run. I used a 2 mile loop that I've measured to do the timing splits and did not rely on my Garmin to try to keep of actual pace. Making left hand turns every 1/2 mile drives the thing batty. I’d also decided yesterday to start out at 8:30/mi and work my way down to 8:20/mi if I felt OK after the first 6 miles.

Of course, the run didn’t exactly work out as planned. After jogging down to the starting point, I took off as if I was in a 10K, running something under a 7:00/mi pace, but backed off considerably before reaching the 1/2 mile mark. (note to self: DO NOT DO THIS IS A REAL MARATHON) and completed the first mile in 8:06. Way to fast.

I got things under control and locked into an 8:20/mi pace through the first 6 miles. The pace felt good even through it much faster than my usual training runs. At the end of 6 miles I picked up a Gatorade bottle I’d left by the road, which took a few seconds, and continued on the 4th loop around the course trying to drink while holding a much faster pace than usual for a long run. This was almost comical.

Everything was OK until the voices in my head started arguing on mile 8. On the one hand, I was already half way through the 12 miles @ MP portion of the run; on the other hand, I was starting to feel the effects of the heat and the higher pace. However, I followed Mike’s sage advice and sped up on mile 9. 9, 10, and 11 felt good again and I even toyed with the idea of extending the MP portion to 13.1 miles. I’d already run PRs for 8 miles and 10 miles on this run and I knew all I had to do was hold the 8:20/mi pace for 13.1 miles and I’d have a PR in the 1/2 marathon as well. However, mile 12 put an end to that fantasy. This run had a purpose and that did not include over extending myself to get a PR in the 1/2 on a private course. As soon as I completed the 12 miles, I took my foot off the gas, grabbed a fresh Gatorade bottle and just cruised along for another 1.1 miles to finish out the entire run at 15.3 miles.

Mile Splits @ MP: 8:06, 8:26, 8:20, 8:20, 8:20, 8:20, 8:23, 8:26, 8:18, 8:16, 8;11, 8:24
Average MP – 8:20/mi
Average for 15.3 miles – 8:32/mi
New 10 Mile PR - 1:23:20

Training for the week:

Mon – Rest
Tue – 6.2 miles, recovery, 9:12/mi avg pace
Wed – 14.9 miles, medium-long, 9:02/mi avg pace
Thr – 6.2 miles, recovery, 9:04/mi avg pace
Fri – 6.2 miles, easy, 8:34/mi avg pace
Sat – 6.0 miles w/ 6x100m strides, easy, 8:29/mi avg pace
Sun – 15.3 miles medium-long w/12M @MP; MP = 8:20/mi , entire run = 8:32/mi

Total Mileage for the week: 54.9 miles

Random Photos

Although I was very disappointed that I didn’t get any photos of fellow bloggers at the New Times 10K last Sunday, I did take a few photos none-the-less. The following are two that I found quite interesting



Who in their right mind opens up an Adtkins Diet booth at an endurance race? Yum - low carb snacks. You'll notice that there is no one in the booth.



The first thing this fellow did when he got back to his car after the 10K was light up a cigarette. After participating in uncountable races over the past 5 years. This was the first person I've ever seen smoking.

6 comments:

Mike said...

I'm so glad to hear this one went well. After setting the stage with the temperature on the day I have to admit I was worried! I think it's a great approach to do these on the watch instead of the Garmin, as it really teaches pace awareness (like the hard lesson of the first mile). I need to learn to do this myself.

Great run and a big confidence booster to end the week, well done.

Anonymous said...

Nice run Phil. Nice week!!! well I've got all the marathons out of my system. And I am ready to follow your advice. I will start my BQ quest after Jan 1st. I will target a May marathon.

Anonymous said...

I thought that Atkins booth was strange too. I wasn't real impressed with the vendors anyway. Although I did partake in the Ben & Jerry's booth.

What I liked most, besides the run, was the chance to watch the 10k race.

Pat
Arizona, USA

Anonymous said...

Nice run Phil, the splits are amazingly even. That's very good pacing.

There will be more MP runs to help you make up your mind on what your true MP should be like. This one sounded a bit fast, but it's still early days.

tb1 said...

Phil,
Here is a link to the group that shot photos at the NT10K. If you know the number of other bloggers, you can just type it in. By the way, nice MP run.

http://www.myracepics.com/

angie's pink fuzzy said...

yay for a pr!!!