Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Palomar Airport Road

I was in Carlsbad California this afternoon so I took the opportunity to bang out a quick 8 miler up the 300’ foot hill along Palomar Airport Road. This is the longest and steepest hill on the Carlsbad Marathon and I find the prospect of running up it during a real marathon is a bit daunting.

This was only the second time I’d run up this hill and first time I did it, things didn’t go all that well. Today was different. I definitely slowed down on the last ½ mile where it gets very steep, but overall for the entire run (up and down), I average under 9 minute miles without pushing very hard. I’ve got a 14 miler scheduled for Sunday and I might be able to work this hill into a medium long run.

I wish everyone in the US a great Thanksgiving Holiday. This is one of the few US holidays that has not become overly commercialized and most people still take the time to make preparations for this holiday themselves instead of buying everything pre-made. It is really a great time to spend with family and friends. We’re spending the time in California with most of our extended family (both relatives and others that have become an integral part of our family over the years). You just can’t beat this holiday. My daughter also has a soccer tournament in Southern California after Thanksgiving, so I’ll spend the weekend driving up and down the coast. Fortunately, this is an easy week on the Pfitzinger program and I only have three more easy runs to complete this week (5 miles, 8 miles and 14 miles).

Training for the week:

Mon – Rest Day (recovering from my MP run on Sunday)
Tue – 10.4 miles w/6 x 600m @ 6:43/mi avg pace (go team!)
Wed – 8.0 miles, easy, 8:52/mi

4 comments:

tb1 said...

Phil,
You won't believe this but I use to run on Palomar Airport Road. I used to live in Del Mar and my future wife resided in Carlsbad. What a small world. I remember that hill. It's brutal. You have a real advantage since you have a chance to run that stretch. I commend you on your choice of an inaugural marathon. You will smoke your competition. If your competiton smokes you, then you are probably running fast. Do you understand what I mean? Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful thanks giving Phil and enjoy your family

Anonymous said...

Great job on the run. There are not many hills around the Phoenix area, are there? Have a great Thanksgiving!

Anne said...

This is the most "fall like" Thanksgiving we've had in awhile, too. Much cooler and the leaves are turning, finally. Glad you conquered the hill this time. It's all those darn lights that get me off pace!