Saturday, November 04, 2006

Run like a bird

The door bell rang at 2:30 this morning. We’d been TeePee’d again. The culprets were friends of my 14 year old daughter and only lived 1/2 mile from our house. Fortunately, my 19 year old is home from the U of A this weekend so they both got up, pulled as much toilette paper off the trees as they could and took a little drive over to the other house and deposited the mess on their front lawn. I got to go back to sleep.

I rolled out of bed at 7:30 this morning for my Saturday run; a 7 miler with 8 strides thrown in for fun. I’m getting far to comfortable with sleeping in late … this is a luxury that will stop on Tuesday, but for this weekend, its nothing but pleasant morning runs.

The first 2 miles this morning were killer. I just couldn’t get into the grove. My breathing was labored and I felt as if my feet were slapping the pavement on every step . I kind of looked like a gooney bird waddling down the street. I waited until I got past 2 miles before I started the strides. I could feel my right calf tightening up and my left hamstring let me know it was working over time. Fortunately there was no pain, just that uncomfortable feeling you get when your running mechanics are out of whack. I pushed through 3 strides on mile 3, three more on mile 4 and finished out the last two on mile 5; including the 8th going up hill. It wasn’t pretty.

Things finally settled down on the miles 6 and 7 and I finally felt as if I was getting into some sort of rhythm. Since I’ve got 18 to do on Sunday, I ran back to the house after 7 and didn’t try to extend this run out beyond what I was required to accomplish. After I figured out my average pace I was pretty happy with the result:

Run Summary:

Miles 1 through 5 > 8:41/mi avg pace
Miles 6 through 7 > 8:39/mi avg pace

Training for the week:

Mon – Rest Day
Tue – 10.3 miles, w/ 5 miles @ 7:41/mi, 8:41/mi avg pace
Wed – 4.1 miles, recovery, 9:18/mi avg pace
Thr – 11.0 miles, medium-long, 8:28/mi avg
Fri – 5.1 miles, recovery, 8:54/mi avg pace
Sat – 7.2 miles, easy w/8 strides, 8:40 avg pace

4 comments:

Mike said...

Looks like 55 miles this week, you're at the peak of Pfitz's plan as far as mileage goes. Enjoy the 18 miler, I'd suggest not sleeping in too long as I was getting pretty warm running at 8 in the morning down here today.

Hilda said...

It is until the last miles when the run becomes decent, it has happen to me, seems like enjoyement starts only after some point, right?

How is your wife? Is she back running?

D said...

So many of my training runs feel like crap for the first 3 miles. Not sure why. After that, I typically feel fine. Nice job on the run.

Anne said...

I really enjoyed the TP story. We were "tortilla-ed" earlier this year, which is as bizarre as it sounds.

I admire anyone that can run for any length of time in hot weather. Hat's off!