Tuesday, November 21, 2006

VO2 Max

I ran my first VO2 Max workout on the Pfitzinger plan this morning. I was up well past midnight last working and didn’t get a chance to read over the game plan for the workout until just before I turned off the light after dropping into bed. Although I am on a pseudo vacation today and didn’t have any need to get up until 6:30, my eyes shot open before 5 AM as usual and I was on the road for a 6.2 mile warm up run before heading to the track for the interval part of the workout. I ran another 1600m at the track to give myself some time to figure out the required timing split for each 600m interval and it took almost the entire 1600 to take my average 5K pace (7:00/mi) and figure out how many seconds that would equate to for a 600m (you wouldn’t know I took graduate level math classes in college … I can barely do arithmetic in my head anymore.). I finally figured out that I needed to run each 600 in the 2:35 range. So I finally settled on 6x600m @ 2:35/interval with 45 seconds of jogging between intervals.

Actual splits: 2:30, 2:30. 2:30, 2:29, 2:30, 2:31 – average pace – 6:43/mi

My left hamstring started to complain on the 4th interval. Nothing too serious, it just started to tighten up a little. I was also starting to feel gassed on the 6th interval. I had entertained a fantasy of running 8 intervals, but gave up on that idea once the hamstring started complaining and simply ran a slow 1600m cool down instead. No sense getting hurt by pushing out beyond the training guidelines.

Imagine my surprise when I got home and figure out that 2:30/600m was 17 seconds/mile faster than my 5K pace. Also imagine my surprise when I read the Pfitzinger plan again and realized I was suppose to run 5 x 600m w/90 sec jog between. No wonder I was feeling a bit tired with only 45 seconds between intervals. That’s what I get for running on too little sleep.

I hope you’re reading your plans more carefully than I read mine. Enjoy the week, especially those of you in the US enjoying a great Thanksgiving Holiday.

Training for the week:

Mon – Rest Day (recovering from my MP run on Sunday)
Tue – 10.4 miles w/6 x 600m @ 6:43/mi avg pace (go team!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome workout, Phil! I'm impressed with how much you were able to do your first time out doing VO2 Max. And don't feel bad about not being able to do effective math at 5am. I can't either...and I'm an accountant!

tb1 said...

Phil,
Excellent speed!! Considering the short rest--WOW. I did speed work last Sunday. My intervals were a little faster and a little longer but I was resting 3-4 minutes between runs. I think you are going to have a rewarding inagural marathon race.

Anonymous said...

Well, this art historian didn't understand a word of all those mathematical meanderings.
But any workout that starts with "I ran a 6.2 m warm-up" is hard core enough for me.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about doing the math in your head. That college calculus does nothing for me while I am running. :>)

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving your advice. I feel like I had a meeting with my own personal trainer. First step for me will be the shoes this weekend.

Thank you also for including my pic in your New Times post. I appreciate the support!!

Mike said...

To feel good and run faster than prescribed on short rest is a bonus on any day, but especially so two days after a big marathon pace run. It sounds like you are definitely starting to come up, so be careful to not get too carried away. I know, it's a nice problem to have.

Anonymous said...

Nice job Phil, outstanding speed. Like I said its going to be hard for you to beat your first marathon PR and try not to do the math on your way out the door it takes me about mile four to wake up!!!:)

Anonymous said...

That's a great workout, and probably means that your 5k time is faster than you think it is.

But next time you're trying to calculate your times and paces for a VO2max workout, have a look into Appendix C of Pfitz's book - he's done the math for you already.

Phil said...

I appreciate all the comments you've left me over the last several posts. Things have gone very well over the last couple of weeks and somehow I've been able to exceed expectations. Having you folks out there following along is a big part of my inspiration.

Thanks again