Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Back in the Saddle

Well, the weather weenies missed the boat on the rain, but is was mostly cloudy and cool. Todays agenda call for 10 miles w/4x1200m at 5K pace, so I was thankful for the cool weather. I ran an uneventful 6.5 mile warm up but had to take a short break to drive my youngest daughter to a friend’s house over in Scottsdale. On the way back, I stopped at the Paradise Valley Community College track to run the 4x1200m intervals.

Some group was hosting a pole vaulting workshop for high school kids at the track, so there were people everywhere, but no one else running and for the most part, the kids stayed out of the #1 lane. My goal was to run these intervals at a 7:00/mi pace or 5:14 per 1200m. I started out the first interval a little fast, but finished strong. The 2nd interval started ok, but I started breathing hard near the end. The 3rd interval was a struggle and I had to really push it on the last lap to come in near my 5:14 goal. The 4th was more a less a repeat of the 3rd. I was 2 seconds behind after 400m and 4 seconds behind after 800m. I had to give it my all on the last lap to get close.

Actual Interval Splits: 5:08, 5:10, 5:16, 5:17

This was the first successful workout in over a week. I think my cold is more or less behind me. Enjoy your week.

Training for the week:

Mon – Rest Day
Tue – 5.0 miles w/6x100m strides; 9:05/mi avg pace
Wed - 10.6 miles w/4x1200m @7:00/mi pace

14 comments:

DawnB said...

I'm gald you are feeling better. That marathon will be here soon!!

Dusty said...

Nice workout :) Glad you are feeling better!

Mike said...

Good to hear you're back in the pink. Did you ever imagine a year ago you would call 6.5 miles a "warm up"? Jess, the woman who won the "Grand Prix" down here will also be running the same marathon and will be shooting for 3:05. I'll tell her to look for your white hat and blue shirt.

Yvonne said...

glad you're feeling better!

Phil said...

Thanks Mike ... a year ago (according to my log), a 6 miler was a long run and certainly not a warm up. Thanks for the input on Jess. Of course, the only place I'll see a 3:05 marathoner will be a the start line, but I'd be happy to talk with her before the race. It will be nice to see a friendly face.

Susan said...

I'm glad your cold is behind you! Here's to a great 2007!

Feminist Runner said...

Glad you're feeling better, Phil! I don't know how you didn't skip the run all together and just do the pole vaulting workshop.

D said...

Speedy Phil! Glad to hear that you are on the mend.

stephruns said...

Thanks for reminding me about track work. It's just so cold in NYC I guess it has to wait until spring time.
Glad you are feeling better!

love2runcanada said...

Pfitz is tough but Phil is tougher! You're really nailing those workouts, even though I get the impression that you're tired. Be careful and make sure to get the rest you need. Good work!

Lana said...

Awesome workout, Phil! Which Pfitz plan are you doing?

Javamom said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better and had a nice workout! Welcome back to Phoenix!

Amy said...

Glad you are feeling better...nice workout!

olga said...

Yeah, well...did you have to shove these times in my face as a reminder if what once was? :) Joiking. Solid repeats, Phil.