Friday, December 15, 2006

Coyote Playground

I ran my 12 miler in the Reach 11 Recreational Park, home of my friends the coyotes; and I was not disappointed. Along mile 5, three of them came out to play. My black lab, Cooper, took off after one before I had a chance to figure out what was going on, with a second coyote in hot pursuit. They quickly disappeared into a wash and I completely lost track of my dumb dog. I ran through the wash for a few minutes but couldn't see or hear any of them. Then, I thought that I heard coyotes howling off to the west, so I got back up on the main trail and continued running, calling for the my dog. Within a minute, Cooper came roaring down the trail from behind me (so much for my sense of direction) completely gassed, but no worse for wear. He dragged along behind me for a couple of miles before he finally caught his breath and assumed his usually position jogging in front of me.

I steered clear of the coyote stronghold for the rest of the run, running 2.5 miles laps around the west side of the park. Since I was feeling pretty good I picked up the pace on the last 4 miles, keeping in mind that I have a 30K on Sunday. Cooper doesn’t like running fast, so he dropped behind me again but never lost contact.

Despite the heart stopping incident early on in the run, it turned out pretty well. There’s nothing like running in the middle of the day in perfect weather. We wait all year for this type of weather, so I might as well enjoy it.

Have a great weekend!

Training for the week:

Mon: Rest day
Tue: 8.0 miles, easy, 9:00/mi avg pace
Wed: 9.9 miles w/5x1000m @6:47/mi
Thr: Rest Day
Fri: 12.0 miles, easy, 8:49/mi avg pace

3 comments:

tb1 said...

Good luck on your 30K Sunday. Take advantage of this opportunity. I know you will.

Mike said...

The course profile tomorrow begs for caution during the first half, just like the marathon. Enjoy it and put yourself in a position to take advantage of the slight downhill on the way back. It's fun to get some practice drinking out of those tiny cups too.

carmen said...

Thanks for the heads up on the race terrain. It's good to know what to anticipate. I wouldn't have anticipated much hillage at all.

I still feel kind of queasy but I'm still trucking through. I don't know what I will be wearing tomorrow but I doubt that you'll miss me.

Sweet! You went back to see your coyote buddies! I'm sure they were happy to see you again. :)