Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Early morning

Unlike yesterday, I didn’t have the luxury of sleeping in this morning and running in the late afternoon, so I rolled out of bed at 5 AM for an easy 11 miler. It wasn’t all that cold outside (46F/8C), but I still bundled up in my long sleeve running shirt, gloves and tights and headed out the door with Cooper in tow. I spent the first two miles warming up but just couldn't get my pace to increase after the warm up. I finished the first 5 miles right at 9:00/mi average and than ran a short 1 mile loop before starting the 2nd 5 mile segment.

The 2nd 5 mile loop was pretty much a repeat of the first, only the traffic had increased considerabley now that I’d been on the road for over an hour. On mile 9 I had a car roll through a stop sign on a usually calm intersection and forced me to stop in the middle of the cross walk so as to avoid having my toes run over. In addition, I felt like crap on miles 10 and 11. The good news is that I didn’t feel like stopping, my legs just felt dead. I guess yesterday's interval workout took more out of me than I expected.

Tomorrow is a rest day, which is good since I need to be clear across town at 7:30 tomorrow morning. During the first 10 weeks of the Pfitzinger plan I snuck in an extra 8 to 10 miles on rest days; however, I stopped that foolishness last week when the weekly load went through the over-head. If Pfitz says I should take two rest days, I’m taking two rest days.

Hope your week is going great.

Training for the week:

Mon: Rest Day
Tue: 7.7 miles w/5x600m @ 6:31/mi pace
Wed: 11.2 miles, medium long, 8:58/mi avg pace

9 comments:

Mike said...

Tempo runs and intervals like yesterday certainly count, but your medium-long run today and your long run on the weekend are what will get you to the finish in California next month in good shape. When you start feeling crappy 2/3 into these it might help to keep in the back of your mind that this is when your body is probably forcing itself to rely more on fat for fuel as the glycogen wears thin. The sensation reminds me of driving my old '66 Mustang- when I'd slow down or idle the electrics in the car would switch from running off the alternator to running off the battery. Sure the radio gets fuzzy and the lights dim, but you still go.

It can be a little painful teaching the body to conserve more glycogen longer, but the lessons hopefully pay off on marathon day. Nice work.

Ewen said...

If they're in the plan, take the rest days. Easy/rest days are when the fitness builds.

Those 600s were pretty amazing - by headlamp on a track in the dark! Nice :)

Lana said...

Phil - good run...get some rest. Thanks so much for all your encouragment toward my marathon goal. I will remember your words as I'm running Sunday!!

stephruns said...

huh...easy 11 miles before breakfast????????????????

Anonymous said...

Just think - if the intervals took more out of you than you expected, then they should pay off pretty well too. Good workouts - glad you were able to keep moving with dead legs - that shows good mental strength! (not that I wasn't already keenly aware how tough you are mentally, but always good to remind yourself for when the big races come up!).

Anonymous said...

oh - meant to add - thanks so much for your notes of encouragement while I'm on the road to recovery. Hopefully I'll be on the actual road soon. :)

Anonymous said...

You will never catch me skipping a rest day. Enjoy!!!!

Deene said...

you need the recovery time so savor those rest days. 46 degrees would be excellent for running, we are getting up to 60 today but i have to not run for awhile.

Anonymous said...

You were sneaking miles?!?! In the bathroom when the nuns weren't looking?
The shame! The horror!