Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The morning after the morning after

8 miles with 5x600m at 5K pace. Boy, I was happy to see that I “only” needed to do 600m repeats instead of the 1000s lung-busters from last week and I wasn’t all too sure I’d be able to get much speed in at all after running a 30K two days ago; but it Pfitzinger say run, I run.

After a 5 mile warm up, I dropped Cooper off at the house and headed over to PVCC for the fun part of the work out. There were a couple of other people jogging around the track, so at least I had someone to chase. Although the local weather loonies had predicted rain for this morning, the sun was out and the temperature was around 48F (9C). I just couldn’t ask for better weather … now if I just had the legs to run the repeats.


I was under 48 seconds at the 200m mark on the first lap, so I knew I was doing OK speed wise, but I wasn't very comfortable. My legs felt like lead and I was already breathing hard with 400m to go. Fortunately, one of the other runners was 200m in front of me, so I chased him down and finished the first 600 in a respectable 2:24 and jogged around to the start line for the next interval.

Intervals 2 through 4 were successive exercises in futility as I struggled more and more to keep up the pace. I let it all hang out on the 4th interval and was able to push the time back down to something respectable, but I was totally gassed. It was all I could do to finish up with an 800m cool down before slithering off the track.

600 Splits for those of you who like this stuff:

2:24, 2:27, 2:29, 2:31, 2:27

Hope your week is going great. I still have a lot of shopping to do, so I’m in all out panic mode.

Training for the week:

Mon- Rest Day (lounged around the house – did nothing)
Tue – 8.5 miles w/5x600m @ 6:36/mi pace

None Running Info – Although it is December and night-time temperatures are approaching freezing; our roses don’t seem to have a clue. These are blooming on our front steps.


11 comments:

Love2Run said...

Good work at sticking to the plan. Your Santa looks a little frazzled too so good luck with the shopping!

Javamom said...

It must be so confusing being a plant here...LOL. Nice workout!

DawnB said...

Congratulations on your race!!! Phil!! nice job. And do I know what you mean about the Christmas shopping!!!

Ewen said...

I 'like this stuff' Phil. Great session on legs that would have to be tired two days after the 30k.

Thomas said...

That Santa-shaped rose is truly remarkable.

Great job on pushing your apparently aging body like that.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Your roses aren't the only ones confused. I'm already looking forward to 100 degree summer days...how jacked up is that?

Feminist Runner said...

Eeek, Christmas shopping! Is it that time of year already? The Santa says it is, but the roses are screaming no!

Deene said...

seems like Santa is enjoying the roses, he's probably confused as well.

D said...

You really ran a well executed 30K race Phil. Very nice! You are going to be so strong for your marathon!

Mike said...

My vincas still looked like that until this morning! It's freezing down here.

Those 600's certainly could have gone worse, keep up the good work.

olga said...

I LOVE your repeats!!