Tuesday, January 02, 2007

1st run of 2007

With New Year’s Day falling on a Monday, today was my first official run of the year: 8 miles w/5x600m at 5K pace. This run just wasn’t going to happen this morning. It was not only my first day back to the office in what seemed to be a bazillion weeks (actually closer to 3), but my 14 year-old daughter was going to Tucson to visit her sister and her boyfriend, so someone had to get her to the Airport at 7:15 AM to catch the shuttle – I volunteered, seeing as how I’m the only healthy driver left in the house at the moment (wife and other daughter are sick).

Since I missed my run in the morning, the only other time I had to run it was 5 PM this afternoon after I got home from work (I left the office earlier than usual to make sure this would happen). I had just enough time to run 3 miles over to the track, get in the intervals before the track closed at 6 PM and then run the 3 miles back – yeh – I know that adds up to more than 8 miles, but I was quickly running out of daylight as well as options.

My goal was to keep the interval pace down under 7:00/mi, but I forgot my cheat sheet in my haste to get out the door and couldn’t remember what the timing intervals needed to be. The only thing I could remember is that I needed to be at or under 48 seconds at 200m to be reasonably assured of being on pace. Someday I’ll listen to Ewen who just laughs every time he sees us converting pace figures on a metric track back to miles, but old habits are very hard to break.

Once I got to the track I jog around to the start line and took off on the first interval. As usual, I had the track to myself and felt pretty good accelerating up to speed. I passed the 200m mark at 48 seconds (my magic number), so I knew I was in range. At the end of the interval, I jogged the 200m back to the start line. Pfitz allows 90 seconds between repeats and a slow 200m jog takes about 80 seconds, so it works out very nicely for me.

The 2nd interval wasn’t nearly as good. I passed 200m with 50 seconds showing on my watch and had to pick up the pace on the last 400m to keep it close. On the 3rd interval two joggers showed up, so I had someone to blast by, but I was starting to struggle. I thought I was in the groove and just cruising on the 4th interval, but when I passed the 200m mark at 52 seconds I had to turn on the after-burners to get back on track. And I really had to work the 4th interval to keep my shoulders relaxed. My head was starting to feel as if it were simply collapsing into my neck.

I really got focused on the 5th interval and maintained decent (for me) form all the way around. I passed 200m at 40 something (it was too dark by this time to read my watch), but at least I was close. I kept the pace as fast as my little legs would turn-over and got through the last interval at 2:30, which I thought was pretty decent, but my mind was able to do the math after 5 intervals.

Actual Splits: 2:32, 2:33, 2:34, 2:36 (yikes), 2:30 (yes!)
Average Pace: 6:51/mi (4:15/km)

After slowly jogging my last 200m recovery, I headed off on the 3 mile run home. I got out of there before the grounds Nazi showed up and tossed me off the track and actually enjoyed the 3 mile run home in the cool night air. I made it through every traffic light after I left the campus and didn’t have a single car pull out in front of me over the entire distance. What a great way to end my first run of the year. I hope your week is going as well.

Training for the Week:

Mon: Rest Day
Tue: 8.9 miles w/5x600m @ 6:51/mi pace

20 comments:

Bob Gentile said...

Yes I agree that's a great run and pace to welcome the new year...

way to go Phil...

hope ur wife and daughter get better soon.

Bob

Hilda said...

For a moment I thought I was at the wrong place... I want a new look too!

I'm still waiting for my first run of the year, I want to say as you: great way to end my first run of the year

DawnB said...

Thank you Phil!! Oustanding first run of the year!!!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

first run, woo hoo!

Bapp said...

Your comments about blasting by unknowing joggers are sprinkled in many of your posts - and are very funny. I can just imagine you on marathon race day - on the hunt for poor victims. I am glad that I will not be in your cross-hairs anytime soon. Happy hunting in 2007.

Ewen said...

I've heard of Irwin - he's almost as good a runner as Ewen ;)

Phil, at least you didn't say 'I passed the 218.7 yard mark in 48 seconds' ;)

Nice session - 4:15 per kilometre is a good pace!

Thomas said...

Happy New Year, Phil. Looks like you had a good start to 2007. Keep it up, and your goals will all be achieved by the end of the year.

Feminist Runner said...

Great start for the new year! Many good omens!

Michael said...

Nice strong finish on the last 600, it seems the training is going well.

How are you feeling about Carlsbad?

Phil said...

Ewen - You caught two gross typos in my last two posts. I fixed both.

Michael - Like nearly everyone else that starts a taper, I'm getting nervous about this marathon. Have I done enough? Can I handle the rolling hills? Will I blow up at 16 miles and melt into the pavement? Will my hamstrings hold up running up the big hill? All the usual crap; but I know that once I get out there and step across the start line that I’ll do OK. I’m under no pressure to beat any particular time; I do not have a PR to beat, I’m not trying to get a BQ time under my belt and I’m pretty confident that I won’t be the last person across the finish line. I just want to finish it and enjoy the experience to the point where I want to do it again … or at least start another training cycle.

D said...

You made it through every traffic light and didn't have a single car pull out in front of you - go buy a lottery ticket you are on a lucky streak Phil!

I was reviewing your goals - they look great and more importantly achievable. Nice job on the speed work!

Si necesitas ayuda con Español. . . just kidding my spanish is getting rustier and rustier by the day!

olga said...

I think those were great inteval times. Just because you run them in something I used to last year, the numbers look familiar.
You are ready. Taper well. Don't spend too much energy smiling when you pass marathon people:)

Lana said...

Great job on the workout, Phil! And thanks for the info on the Pfitz program - I'm gonna look into it for sure.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Good job. Looks like your training is all in order. You'll do great in the race, just trust the training.

stephruns said...

nice intervals!!!!!

a first run of a new year is so great!!!!!!

iliketoast said...

but did you stretch? .... i identified with that goal and thought i'd give you a hand with a reminder .... no point both of us struggling down the stairs in the morning

J~Mom said...

Nice job, Phil! Sounds like a great way to start the year!

Dusty said...

Nice way to start off 2007! I hope your family is well soon & your daughter has a great trip!

DawnB said...

Phil, I'm looking forward to a great marathon race report. You kick butt with your training you'll do just fine

J~Mom said...

Hey Phil,

I am sorry to hear your foot also hurts in the same spot. Here is where I told about the foot...sorry I should have came back over here.

https://www2.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=33081057&postID=8387693086727827072

If that link doesn't work I replied in the comments on the "foot ouchie" post.

Hope you are enjoying your taper!