Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Mon pied dort encore

Right on schedule at 4 miles, I started to feel the tell-tale signs of numbness in my right foot. The tingling started in my toes and spread backwards towards the heel. By the time I finished mile 5, most of the bottom of my foot and sides of my right foot were “asleep”. I took Dusty’s advice and loosened my laces to see if that would help. In fact, I ran with my right shoe untied and the laces loosened for the last mile (at MP). I don’t think this helped much, but the problem didn’t get any worse. I tried to walk it off after I finished the course, but the feeling remained; however, once I stopped completely, the numbing sensation went away inside of 60 seconds.

I really appreciate all the comments you left yesterday. I really think that the problem is related to a nerve impingement somewhere above my right foot and suspect that it is either in my ankle or higher up on my calf. Both were very tight today and I could feel my ankle tightening as I ran. As for external causes, I really haven’t changed anything. I’m wearing the same shoes, socks, tops, shorts, glasses, hat, etc. I just don’t have that much gear to be swapping things around. I’ve got a few more days to work this out, so I’m not panicking yet.

I also had my yearly physical today. On the plus side, my doctor forgot my age and started giving me the typical talk assuming I was in my early 40’s. I had to remind him that I was a decade older. Heart rate was good (58), blood pressure was solid (128/80) and most of the other systems were working as expected. On the negative side, it also meant that I needed to have a prostate exam. I know that there are worse things women have to put up with, but it doesn’t make this exam any more enjoyable. But I survived and assuming that all the blood work comes back negative, I should be able to make it through another running season.

Hope your week is going great.

Training for the week:
Mon: Rest Day
Tue: 6.2 miles w/2 @ MP; 8:49/mi avg pace

13 comments:

tb1 said...

Sorry to hear about your small ailments just before your first marathon. Maybe you just need some rest after this race before you start another build. My guess is that your body hasn't yet adapted to the increase in both volume and speed.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

The only thing I can think of is rest it. You can't hurt your fitness this close to the race so see if it will heal up by then. Good luck!

Michele said...

I hope the foot gets to feeling better. I agree with chad to rest. Too close to the race now.

I have no idea what the title to this post says.

Jim said...

Chad is right. You can only do more harm than good. You are in shape. You've done the work. The taper is just about resting without going crazy. I sometimes have a similar condition and it is caused by tendonitis in the two big tendons that run on top of the foot in front of the ankle. I hope that is not the case for you.

Give it a rest, Phil. The hay is in the barn. You know it along with everyone else out here. Relax and enjoy your race when it rolls around.

Wishing you the best!

DawnB said...

I agree you might just need to relax for the rest of the week. Sounds like everyone is saying the same thing.

Phil said...

Thanks guys ... I get the message. I really am relaxing and sticking with the final week of the Pfitz plan. I have a 7 miler on Wednesday, 5 miles on Friday and then a 4 miler on Saturday. Nothing too intense.

BTW - The title of this post was my trite method of letting off a bit os steam. It means - My foot is still sleeping.

Subhasish Bhattacharya said...

I haven't experienced anything like it but hopefully you're just going through one of those typical taper symptoms as your body recovers. Luckily, these tend to disappear on race day!

Thomas said...

When training for the Dublin marathon in October, the last week was the only one where I significantly departed from Pfitz's schedule. I don't agree with running 5 and 4 miles the 2 days before the marathon. I think it just takes precious energy away from you, without offering any benefits.

Considering your foot problems, I'd rest on those days instead. That's what I did for my various ailments, I had 3 days of 0 miles immediately before race day.

Ewen said...

Yes, it might be triggered from a nerve further up the leg, or like you said, calf or shin tightness. A leg massage could be a good investment Phil.

Feminist Runner said...

Buy that foot an alarm clock, Phil! It's time for it to wake up! Reveilles-toi, le pied de Phil! Maintenant!

J~Mom said...

Sorry to hear the foot is still sleeping. Try to get lots of rest and maybe think about getting a pedicure with flowers on your toes. ;>)

olga said...

Oh, everybody already wished you rest:) Are you in?

StumbleGuy said...

Wishing you the best for your trip ahead and a great marathon. Rest easy now.

Andy