Monday, January 29, 2007

South Bend

The last time I was in South Bend was June 29th and the roads didn't look anything like the picture to the left. Today, the temperature was under 20F with light snow on arrival at the small regional airport on the outskirts of town. And unlike my trip last week, I didn’t have any trouble with my flights. Delta came through and got me (and my bag) to South Bend on time this afternoon. After checking into my hotel at 5:30 PM, I decided to go out for my run this afternoon instead of waiting for tomorrow morning. I figured with the temperature at 18F (-8C), it wasn’t going to get much warmer in the morning and the thought of running in the dark through fresh snow in an unfamiliar town didn't sound like such a good idea.

I came prepare with a long sleeve technical shirt and long sleeve warm up as well as my running tights and gloves. I was actually quite comfortable and headed south along the “River Trail” paralleling the St. Joseph River. The game plan was an easy 2.5 miles out and 2.5 miles back at whatever pace I happened to run.

The River Trail is cement path covered with ice covered with a dusting of snow. My footing wasn’t too good, but that doesn’t explain the slow 10:04/mi average pace; I just didn't feel like running any faster. My HR locked in on 141 bpm and stayed there for the entire run. My right foot feel asleep again after 3.5 miles, but the numbness didn’t progress to the point where I thought I’d have to stop. This foot problem is really getting to be annoying.

The river path was beautiful and I can’t wait to get back up here in the spring time when the foliage is starting to bloom. For now, I’ll settle for a scenic but sluggish recovery run. On the plus side, this was the coldest temperature I’ve ever run in. Since the wind wasn’t blowing, it actually was quite pleasant.

Have a great week.

7 comments:

tb1 said...

Phil, I just caught up with your blogs. At least that is all behind you. I can't stand flying and in fact I always drive, if possible. Luckily I don't travel much any more except on my personal vacation. Good luck in your future travels.

Ewen said...

No thanks Phil. I'll stick to the 28C, 20% humidity we have down here today :)

Feminist Runner said...

Oh my god, snow! White stuff! Glad you got a run in, and a nice slow one at that. Those can be fun.

Thomas said...

The slow pace is down to the fact that you've just run a marathon, I'd say.

I'm impressed that you're going out for a run in those conditions even though the race is behind you.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Better you than me, dude. I don't like the cold and just hate snow. Did enough of that my first 25 years in PA. I don't care if I ever get near it again.

J~Mom said...

BRRRR!! That is too cold for me!! Nice job getting out! I read your other post too, that sucks about the airline. Boooo on them!!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

i wanna run in the snow!!!