Tuesday, February 06, 2007

6 Things about me

My buddy Lana tagged me with the “weird” list ... but I'm having a real hard time with this one. Most everything I do that makes people’s eyes roll into the back of their heads are considered normal behavior by you folks. Most of you think it's perfectly reasonable to get up at 4:00 AM to squeeze in a 14 miler mid-week before work, or look forward to running over freshly fallen snow, or run through the first light rain in the spring time. Driving 40 miles to make a 6:30AM start for a 5K in 90F heat sounds like fun as does driving 400 miles to run a marathon. And just who in their right-mind documents every flipping mile we run? We do!

But I did manage to come up with a few things that are, if not weird, a little off beat:

• I took a Japanese language class using my brother’s name a SS number. He got an A. He also briefly dated a girl he met in the class. It didn't last. And he and his Professor’s husband got sh!tfaced drunk on Sake at the end of semester party. They were the only two hakujins at the party.
• I hitch-hiked from Long Beach, California to south Georgia on a whim to see my Grandmother. I had no clothes with me other than what I was wearing and only $20 in my pocket at the time (I was 17)
• I still have the first bicycle shoes I bought in 1971. The cleats are nailed onto the bottom. I also have a camera I broke when I dropped it on the cobblestone in Red Square years ago (I’ll get it fixed someday) and a key on a leather lanyard that opened a bike lock I used in High School. I lost the lock in 1974 and the bike was stolen in 1981. I still have the HP-35 Scientific Calculator I bought in 1973. It hasn’t worked since 1980. I also have the slide rules I used during my freshman year at UCLA. I keep them just in case the Smithsonian comes looking for a sample of archaic computing devices.
• I own (and have read) every novel written by Virginia Woolf as well as every novel and some several books of poetry written by Margaret Atwood. This is not exactly traditional guy-lit. In fact, I also have a small library of books about Joan of Arc including Mark Twain’s whimsical ode to Joan (I think I own the only copy). I can tell you where Joan of Arc statues are in several small cities across southern France and I once rented to car while in Paris just to drive to the town where Joan of Arc was capture. I still haven’t a clue why I did this.
• For reasons that were never clear, my best friend from college stopped talking to me in 1985; however, for the next 21 years I continued to send him a Christmas card using his last known address. I never got a card returned as undeliverable. I finally gave up this year.

16 comments:

Bapp said...

Those are some cool little facts about you. Virginia Woolf and Joan of Arc...hmmm....well I am sure you have a few S. King or T. Clancy novels as well.

Bob Gentile said...

Welcome Phil to WEIRDO Land, some good NORMAL to you things you do or have done :-)

pretty crazy on the trip across the country at 17!!

and if your friend was getting a card from you for 21 years and no reply...well he umm turned into an idiot and missed out on your loyal friendship... funny how people change I had few close friends from college go MIA too.

Ciao,

Bob

Subhasish Bhattacharya said...

Same thing ended up with my best friend but for 3 years and we were 12 then. Finally, I decided that life was too short and talked with him to sort things out.

You could give him a call and I bet you'll will make up. However, it's totally reasonable to give up and forget about it...

Thomas said...

That's sad about your friend. I doubt he still lives at that same address 22 years later though, so sending Christmas cards was probably pointless for some time.

Deene said...

if your card did't get returned he must still be at the same address.
you were totally cool at 17!

olga said...

I think your list was one of the most interesting I read so far. All of it. Glad you didn't put any running-related stuff, that's really is not weird for anybody who reads this blog thread:)
When I go to Russia, I should take your camera and drop it again. May be it'll work.

J~Mom said...

That is sad about your friend. Sorry he never responded. Thanks for sharing!

Josh said...

Fascinating!

Pat said...

We still send my college roommate and best man a christmas card every year. I don't know why, but we do.

Hope your leg is feeling better.

Pat
Arizona, USA

Amy said...

Very cool list. Now I think you are that much more interesting than I had already thought!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Yep, you are crazy! But we knew that already...didn't we. ;-)

Welcome to the club...

DawnB said...

Thanks for sharing Phil. Wonderful list!!

Anne said...

I'd never have pegged you as a pack rat or a Margaret Atwood fan. The Handmaid's Tale ranks as one of my all-time favorite reads.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

this is the best weird list i've read yet. love it.

Darrell said...

Possibly not weird but certainly intriquing, just a little peek into the mind that is Phil in AZ.

Dusty said...

I loved this post - it was great. Interesting things! Japanese? Way cool.