Thursday, February 15, 2007

Back in the Saddle

With my calf on the mend and no residual pain to be found, I dared to venture out in the cool, damp morning air for (dare I say it) a run. With no particular plan in mind, other than not getting hurt, I started plodding down the street for the first time since January 29th. Yes, it’s been two long torturous weeks since I’ve actually run, so I knew this morning would be tough; and it was. I was prepared to walk if I had to, but I was going to keep moving.

First, there was the matter of just getting out of bed. Oh how that warm bedding enticed me to stay each time I thought about getting up. After sleeping in each morning for two weeks, it was all too easy to just lay back down. But I finally yielded to the Siren’s song and got up, got dressed and got going. The first few steps were tentative. Would the calf hold up or simply collapse again, leaving me to sit crying in the street? Would my hamstrings get cranky and complain about working in the cool (45F) morning air? Or would I simply forget how to run.?

The first few steps did little to allay my fears. Both calves were tight, but not painful. My hamstrings were also tight and let loose with a few twinges as if to let me know that they weren’t having any fun. However, I was moving down the road again! Not fast, mind you, but moving none-the-less.

The first half mile was OK; although, I had forgotten just how fast the cars whiz by on the streets around here. I avoided getting run over during the first 1/2 mile and everything was still feeling good and my calves had both loosened up. At the one mile mark all systems were still go and I decided to forgo walking and kept running at a slow 10:00/mi pace.

Although I was feeling OK, my HR was bouncing between 141 and 145. This wasn’t exactly the feedback I was looking for. I’m out there behaving myself and running at a slow jog but my heart is racing as if I were running a hard tempo. What gives?

I picked up the pace as I made the final turn and headed home. As I brought my pace down under 9:45/mi, my HR responded by shooting up to 151. However, even though my heart was working much harder than it should, I did complete the short run without any soreness and certainly no pain. Tomorrow is another day and I’ll continue to stretch the distance out over the weekend to get back up to at least 5 miles at a time.

Run Summary: 2.2 miles @9:54/mi avg pace

Hope you have a great weekend.

14 comments:

Michele said...

Glad you were about to run pain free.

Nicole said...

Nice job getting back out there. Maybe your HR was higher because of the cold weather.

Pat said...

Glad to hear your back on the roads. Keep up the good work. I should have joined you. It would have been an easy run for you and an all out tempo run for me.

Pat
Arizona, USA

Bapp said...

awesome - welcome back to running and glad that the legs felt ok. You have been off 2 weeks so it may be understandable that your hr was was up.

david said...

How did you stand it for two weeks? I've laid off for three days and it is about to drive me crazy! Good luck on the road to recovery.

Anne said...

Sounds like the rewards for taking it easy are starting to pay off. Continue to take it easy and the miles will add up while the HR goes down.

Deene said...

glad you're healed. btw, that's sort of my average pace so i guess you could say you ran like an old lady :P

olga said...

Nice to get out there, even in cold, huh? The HR has forgotten all about it though in couple of weeks, it's normal. You'll bounce back in no time, it was a short break. Keep it slow and short for a bit.

jen said...

Congrats on the pain-free run! I know how that feels and I'm impressed with your ability to rest (it's harder than it sounds, isn't it?) and heal properly. Way to go. :)

2 weeks off isn't much, you'll be back to normal HR soon.

Mike said...

I've been waiting for this post. Welcome back Phil.

One of us, one of us.

DawnB said...

Hooray!!! welcome back. Nice job today!!!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

yay for running!

Ewen said...

Great stuff Phil! Continue to take it easy for a while - maybe a rest day after every couple of running days?

Glad you remembered how to run :) That HR stuff is a scary reminder that you have to keep running. I notice an elevated HR after 4 days of no exercise.

stephruns said...

great to hear you are running again. after a couple of weeks of a break, running feels the worst. I'm sure it won't take you very long and you're back in your routine!