Wednesday, February 21, 2007

日本の料理

I made my way back to Seattle this afternoon. It’s going to be a tough couple of days with lots of issues to deal with, but I should be able to get in a couple of decent runs none-the-less. On the plus side, I think I finally found “my restaurant” in Redmond. In every city I visit, I try to find that one place where I can go by myself when I want to feel comfortable. Tonight I stumbled into a very small Japanese restaurant in Redmond that really had the right feel. The food was tremendous … actually, it was absolutely the best Japanese Cuisine I’ve had since I lived in Los Angeles in the early ‘70s aside from a couple of trips to Tokyo. Just outstanding and the service was authentic. For example, the hostess (who I think was the owner’s wife) simply put a bowl of miso shiru on the table in front of me with no utensils; just assuming I knew what to do. The main course I ordered (rice, tuna roll and California roll) came with the traditional round hashi (chop sticks) and nothing else. My only issue was the amount of wasabi (山葵 ) provided with the meal; however, as soon as I asked for more, she brought me enough of the pungent root to clear my sinuses for a month. This place is a definite repeat.

On the running front, my dog and I got in 4.1 miles this morning at a 9:07/mi average pace. My HR crept up from 135 to 145 over the course of the run and peaked out at 155 climbing a short hill. At least I felt as if I was firing on all cylinders. I’ll continue to push up the mileage slowly, making sure the calf holds up under the strain.

I really appreciate all your comments.

8 comments:

Sub said...

Out of curiosity, what was the name of the Japanese restaurant? Kikuya? Nara? Shilla? Banzai? Bento Box?

Looks like it's going to be wet and a little chilly here for the next few days

It's smart that you're easing back to running...

Thomas said...

And how's the dog doing? Getting fitter too?

Phil said...

Sub ... Bento Box ... do you know it?

olga said...

I will always remember my first time at Japanese resourant. They shaped W in a flower. I looked at all those weird "sushi" things and gulped the whole "flower"...my eyes popped out and head went on fire as I ran around the street for a few minutes:) After that I fell in love with sushi!

Pat said...

Domo Aragato. Not sure about the spelling, but now I'm hungry.

Glad to hear your leg is much better.

Pat
Arizona, USA

DawnB said...

The resturant sounds great!!!I'm make a detour the next time out

Ewen said...

We had a similar such 'find' of a Greek restaurant in Vancouver. Made a point of dining there a number of times on our two trips to the US/Canada. Memories are made of such places :)

Keep building and resting Phil. You'll get there.

Sub said...

Yeah. The Bento Box is very close to where I work. Nice place! I like their efficiency...